[audacity4blind] Re: Since I've decloaked...

  • From: "John W. Hess" <wysiwygtechnologies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:16:45 -0400

Good evening Leland. Thanks so much for your reply. You may be much closer then you think and I encourage you to take those few days to review the possibilities. This morning, I took wav files from a pro tools session and was able to drop them in to audacity quite easily. I ran across one large problem I am hoping you can solve before this is released. When I try to do anything such as panning a track or changing the gain it works once and then if I try to move to the next track with the down arrow I get a dialog that says "disallowed try selecting some audio first" At this point there is nothing I can do with the project because anything I do brings up that dialog. If you can at least correct this by the release date you will have provided voiceover users with an amazing audio editor. There is much that doesn't speak and many controls that say "unknown and again I hope you will dive in to this. However, aside from that I can do many things very easily. If I can be of any help testing specifically on the Mac side please let me know. You've don an incredible job of providing great keyboard access to the features and as you I am sure have noticed accessibility is a reality and voiceover is really moving along nicely. Also, because of your great work and attention to accessibility I will be offering an audio editing course at the agency where I teach. I will be using the windows version however, we have also secured a donation of a Mac G4 and I look forward to the day when I can teach the Mac version as well. So, Nudge,nudge,nudge please be sure to keep mac and voiceover accessibility in the fore front. I have no doubt that you will be able to make this editor completely accessible. Take care.

John W. Hess
Technology Services Coordinator
Visions/services for blind and visually impaired individuals
135 West 23rd street
New York, New York 10011
Phone: (646) 486-4444 Extension 27
E-Mail: jhess@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.visionsvcb.org
On Jun 10, 2008, at 1:06 AM, Leland wrote:

My name is Leland and accessibility in Audacity is my main focus. (was that a pun? :-))

I started the accessibility push a couple of years ago when my wife needed a multi-track audio editor. It's taken the backseat a few times as I strayed into other areas, but am back on track. (another pun? ;-))

If any of you have suggestions, please feel free to speak up. I'll see how it can fit into Audacity.

While it may seem unfair, Audacity's main user base is sighted and unincumbered, so whatever we devise to add accessible behavior, we must do so without affecting that user base. Well, I don't mind inconviencing them just a little, but it is a tricky balancing act.

So, speak up.  Let me know what's broken as far as accessibility goes.

Leland

The audacity4blind website is at
http://users.northlc.com/sberry/