[audacity4blind] Re: Screen readers other than JAWS and NVDA?

  • From: Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 18:03:02 +1000

Hi Robbie

Until fairly recently I used Audacity almost exclusively with Window-Eyes. With one caveat mentioned below, it does all the tasks you mentioned very well. At one point I set up user windows to read position information, but found that pressing left or right bracket worked well enough anyway.

Now to the caveat. On some machines performance gets very sluggish if the Selection Toolbar is turned on. I am almost certain it is the constant updating of the time as playing/recording is happening that gets Window-Eyes tangled up. This certainly does not happen with NVDA and I am fairly certain not with JAWS either.

As a bytheway, Window-Eyes and especially NVDA read the scales in the Equalisation effect more meaningfully than JAWS.

As another bytheway, my only grumble with NVDA is when setting a time for a future recording. If the recording involves the start and/or finish time on a future date some gymnastics are required to select it. I raised a ticket with NV Access about this some time ago, but especially as they have bigger fish to fry it has not yet been addressed.

Andrew

On 22/09/2016 8:14 PM, Robbie wrote:

Hi all!

In preparation for a workshop on Audacity I’d like to find out if people can process my material regardless of their choice of screen reader, or if there are limits with certain screen readers.

Does anyone use Audacity with WindowEyes, Cobra or SuperNova? If so, I’d like to hear about your experiences. Do you find that your respective screen reader speaks the track status, Solo, Mute, Selected? Can you manage effect dialogues? Can you access and manipulate the Select toolbar? If applicable, does your Braille display show the content of edit fields?

I’d be grateful for any input on this.

Thanks! Robbie