[audacity4blind] Re: Removing Buffer Stops and Starts in YouTube Songs

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 03:32:37 +0100

> From "Linda Adams" <ladams@xxxxxxxxx>
> Sat, 5 Apr 2014 13:06:12 -0600
> Subject: Removing Buffer Stops and Starts in YouTube Songs
>  Is there an Audacity manual in layman’s terms for extremely new
> people to sound editing that woould explain what the different
> technical sound terms mean and what each keystroke actually does?

Hi Linda,

Yes here is the official Audacity Manual:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/ .

Here is the Glossary:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/glossary.html .

You should also read David Bailes' JAWS Guide to Audacity
if you use JAWS:
http://vip.chowo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/jaws/Audacity-2.0.5-Guide.html .

You asked:
> Is there a list of keystrokes somewhere that will tell me the
> difference of when to use the arrows and when to use J, K, Comma,
> and which functions need to work during playback and which ones
> need to work after pressing the spacebar to stop the sound?

Yes, in the Manual:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/keyboard_shortcut_reference.html .

This section of the Keyboard Shortcut Reference is most pertinent
to shortcuts for playing and recording:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/keyboard_shortcut_reference.html#transport
.

You will find in the Transport list the shortcut SHIFT + A for
"Play/Stop and Set Cursor".  That starts playback the same as
SPACE does, but when you use SHIFT + A to stop, it sets the
cursor at the stop position.

You can change the shortcut for "Play/Stop and Set Cursor"
to another binding by using the Keyboard Preferences:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/keyboard_preferences.html#change .

To prevent a click where you delete a selection, use shortcut Z
before the delete to adjust the selection so that it starts and
ends at a zero crossing point. These are points where a digital
audio sample is silent, so it is safe to delete there without causing
a volume discontinuity in the audio that remains. This should work
perfectly on mono tracks. Please read this for more information:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_editing.html#clicks .

Gale