[audacity4blind] Re: Release candidates for Audacity 2.1.2

  • From: Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 18:59:16 -0700

Hi David,

Thanks for the info. That was what I was looking for! As it turned out, I got what I needed from debugging statements in JAWS. I think I have a solution. Now let's hope that the fix for the problem that's blocking the release doesn't change anything that affects it. It's amazing that a change that didn't affect the source for previewing changed the sequence of focus changes so much. It's also weird that JAWS thinks it's changed to a new app while still inside Audacity. I don't know how JAWS decides what the app main window is.

Gary

On 11/20/2015 5:38 AM, David Bailes wrote:

Hi Gary,
Leland did most of the work moving over to wxWidgets 3.0.2 - I'm not sure if
he's monitoring this list at the moment.

I had a quick look at this.
By visual inspection of the programming running, in 2.1.1, the main window is
briefly the focus in between pressing the preview button and the progress
dialog opening. This isn't the case using 2.1.2.

Using Microsoft's Accevent program for watching events:
1. When monitoring winevents (out of process), for 2.1.1 there's an obj_focus
event for the main window after pressing the preview button, but not in the
case of 2.1.2
2. When monitoring UIA events, for both 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 there are no UIA focus
events for the main window after pressing the preview button. In the case of
2.1.2 there is no UIA focus event for the preview progress dialog. (NVDA does
not read the preview progress dialog in 2.1.2, I presume because of the later.)

The code for preview is in the file src/effects/Effect.cpp in the Audacity git
repository. There don't seem to be any relevant changes since 2.1.1 - I think
the difference in behaviour is the update to wxWidgets 3.0.2. In this file,
there's a member funtion:
void Effect::Preview(bool dryOnly)
at line 2432.

Leland may well be able to add more relevant info,
David.

On Thursday, 19 November 2015, 18:35, Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

One thing that has changed in 2.1.2 is the way previewing is handled in
effects. This is "under the hood", but sometimes to make JAWS do what
you want it to you have to look a bit under the hood, and you then get
surprises. I have a new feature in my script for JAWS that silences the
display of the previewing dialog so that JAWS isn't chattering while you
are trying to hear the preview. I try to detect that situation by
watching for something unique in the window structure or focus changes
and stop JAWS from speaking the what it normally speaks when a new
window appears. In 2.1.1, oddly enough, the focus moved to the main app
window, which as far as I can tell never happens any other time. I'm
trying to track down what's happening in the new version, which isn't
easy since it happens too fast to examine the window structure
interactively. I am continuing to work on this, but since this is open
source, I wonder if someone can either tell me what's happening or point
me to the place in the source where previewing is implemented. That
might help me understand what's going on. I'm sure someone still
remembers it since it's relatively new :-)! I know there are some
developers here, so I thought I'd ask here first before signing up on a
new forum.

Thanks.

Gary

On 11/14/2015 7:50 AM, David Bailes wrote:
Hi,
there are release candidates for Audacity 2.1.2 for windows if anyone on the
list would like to test them. If no major bugs are found, then these will
become the official release in about a week's time
There's both an .exe file which installs, and a .zip file which you can unzip
and just run:

http://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/audacity-win-2.1.2rc1.exe

http://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/audacity-win-2.1.2rc1.zip

Most of the changes in this version are "under the hood".
As far as accessibility is concerned, there's both good and bad news.
The good news is that on Windows 7 and earlier, pressing C to play cut preview
now always simply works.
The bad news that there's a problem with NVDA not reading pressed keys in these
cases:
1. In the time controls on the selection bar.
2. Anywhere in the main window, then if the keystroke is an Audacity shortcut,
then the keystroke is not read out.
3. In a label track, when typing in a label name, key presses are not read.
Unfortunately, this problem with NVDA was discovered late in the release cycle,
and there wasn't an obvious quick fix.

For Mac users, the 2.1.2 version will not be accessible for voiceover users,
but an accessible version of 2.1.1 is going to be made available on the
Audacity website - this will be the same version as the one previously made
available on this list.