[audacity4blind] Re: Release candidates for Audacity 2.1.2

  • From: Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 11:35:21 -0700

Hi,

One thing that has changed in 2.1.2 is the way previewing is handled in effects. This is "under the hood", but sometimes to make JAWS do what you want it to you have to look a bit under the hood, and you then get surprises. I have a new feature in my script for JAWS that silences the display of the previewing dialog so that JAWS isn't chattering while you are trying to hear the preview. I try to detect that situation by watching for something unique in the window structure or focus changes and stop JAWS from speaking the what it normally speaks when a new window appears. In 2.1.1, oddly enough, the focus moved to the main app window, which as far as I can tell never happens any other time. I'm trying to track down what's happening in the new version, which isn't easy since it happens too fast to examine the window structure interactively. I am continuing to work on this, but since this is open source, I wonder if someone can either tell me what's happening or point me to the place in the source where previewing is implemented. That might help me understand what's going on. I'm sure someone still remembers it since it's relatively new :-)! I know there are some developers here, so I thought I'd ask here first before signing up on a new forum.

Thanks.

Gary

On 11/14/2015 7:50 AM, David Bailes wrote:

Hi,
there are release candidates for Audacity 2.1.2 for windows if anyone on the
list would like to test them. If no major bugs are found, then these will
become the official release in about a week's time
There's both an .exe file which installs, and a .zip file which you can unzip
and just run:

http://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/audacity-win-2.1.2rc1.exe

http://www.fosshub.com/Audacity.html/audacity-win-2.1.2rc1.zip

Most of the changes in this version are "under the hood".
As far as accessibility is concerned, there's both good and bad news.
The good news is that on Windows 7 and earlier, pressing C to play cut preview
now always simply works.
The bad news that there's a problem with NVDA not reading pressed keys in these
cases:
1. In the time controls on the selection bar.
2. Anywhere in the main window, then if the keystroke is an Audacity shortcut,
then the keystroke is not read out.
3. In a label track, when typing in a label name, key presses are not read.
Unfortunately, this problem with NVDA was discovered late in the release cycle,
and there wasn't an obvious quick fix.

For Mac users, the 2.1.2 version will not be accessible for voiceover users,
but an accessible version of 2.1.1 is going to be made available on the
Audacity website - this will be the same version as the one previously made
available on this list.