[audacity4blind] Re: Recording with Audacity

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jojoafbmil" for DMARC)
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2018 14:02:12 +0000 (UTC)

My opinion is an adapter, if your mike cord doesn't have a 1/4 jack on the end 
you can either get a cord that does or an adapter for that. Or better yet a 
cord that connects to the mile on end and 1/4 stereo on the other end  you can 
pick one up for around 10 dollars an example is below. 
Zerone 10FT 3 Pin XLR Connector Female to 1/8" 3.5mm male Stereo Jack 
Microphone Audio Cord Cable Stereo Mini Jack AUX Cord Audio Cable - 10 Feet

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 Steve the Fiddle <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 
The Behringer 202 does not have a microphone input. The Behringer UM2 does have 
a mic input and costs around $30.

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 at 02:38, David Engebretson Jr 
<accessible.engineering@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Marissa, it sounds like you need a simple USB device.  I have a Behringer 404 
(100 bucks) from Amazon.  I think there is an even less expensive Behringer 202 
that would suffice for your needs. Peace,David  From: Marissa Miranda Sent: 
Friday, December 07, 2018 6:27 PMTo: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: 
[audacity4blind] Re: Recording with Audacity Lol. All i wanna do is get this 
song done by Christmas. I have the instrumental in stereo quality. I use 
GarageBand, but sometimes, it’s iffy on my phone. 

Sent from my iPhone
On Dec 7, 2018, at 6:16 PM, (Redacted sender "jojoafbmil" for DMARC) 
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The adapter first mentioned would be my 1st option I use them all the time. 
Also you can boost the audio in windows playback and/or recording devices.
I use them all the time however not on a microphone. At least not yet lol. 
Audacity I am thinking can do reverb if not you can get a in expensive reverb 
for mike's I used a few in the past. Years ago I got one from RadioShack when 
using multitrack tape recorders. 

   On Friday, December 7, 2018 Marissa Miranda <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 

  Which would be the most cost effective option? I just want to record vocals 
over a track. And add reverb and such to it too. 

 Sent from my iPhone  
On Dec 7, 2018, at 1:31 PM, (Redacted sender "jojoafbmil" for DMARC) 
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Shure SM58 Handheld Dynamic Vocal Microphone
   Is an XRL model depending on the cord you got it can be XLR connectors - 
male plug on one end, female on the other.    Or you can get an XRL one end 
that connects to the microphone and ¼ that can be connected to the ¼ adapter    
Because its recommended and uncommon and/or XRL it is not typical to use XLR 
connectors for stereo signals, unless it is for a special one-off purpose where 
the lack of balancing doesn't matter, and the convenience factor outweighs 
anything else.  
 That microphone is not stereo and the adapter mentioned in the 1st responded 
to would work.    If you wanted or needed to plug it into your PC sound card or 
pc microphone slot.    First, an SM58 is a dynamic mic, so it does not need 
phantom power. Phantom power probably won't hurt it, but it's not doing 
anything so turn it off. That being said, dynamic mics tend to have less signal 
level coming in than a condenser mic(condenser mics are mics that require 
phantom power.    Also Any dynamic microphone with a low impedance balanced 
output, like the SM58, is not affected by phantom power. Phantom Power will not 
damage a professional dynamic microphone.   And interfaces do give you the 
option of phantom power or not using it.  If and when you are considering an 
interface make sure that you can put it on and off.    In references to , the 
microphone has an XLR or other analog plug that doesn’t appear to be readily 
compatible with your computer. You might be able to get away with plugging it 
in to the analog audio in on your PC, but the interference and lack of power 
can have an adverse effect on your overall sound quality Re the USB (universal 
serial bus) if it requires one.    USB Mic Converter If you have an XLR 
microphone, you’re probably going to want to take a look at one of the simplest 
solutions out there. An XLR to USB signal converter plugs directly in to your 
microphone and provides a USB connection directly to the computer. From there, 
your system detects a USB microphone and your built-in system drivers take over 
from there.   The great thing about these adapters is that they often provide 
48V phantom power to the microphone. Many XLR mics, especially large diaphragm 
condenser microphones, require phantom power to generate clean audio that comes 
across a sensitive capsule located within the frame. Sound waves don’t actually 
do a lot of pushing, so some microphones need a little extra energy to amplify 
that signal and send down audio. This is a good thing One option available to 
you is the Icicle from Blue. Blue makes an excellent line of microphones 
including the Yeti and Snowball. The Icicle is essentially a single piece that 
connects to the bottom of your XLR microphone and provides a USB port on the 
other end. No special drivers are required, and you can use it with Mac, PC, 
and Linux. A single analog volume knob on the device makes fine-tuning your 
volume levels easy. You can find the Icicle for around $40 fairly easily.   The 
other option would be an interface but make sure its compatible with audacity 
which the prior post have discussed. Verify that with the technical support 
folks who make the interface. Also make sure its clear if you want to do 
multiple tracks at a time if not and you just want to do 2 tracks at a time 
then that is not an issue.    I mentioned two that some claim work with 
Audacity here was another one I was looking at Tascam US-16x8 USB 2.0 Audio 
Interface      I do multiple at one time for example a band or when digitizing 
multi track recordings. I also posted a work around for that.        
SM58 mic

 -----Original Message-----
From: Marissa Miranda <pianogirlforlife7@xxxxxxxxx>
To: audacity4blind <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Dec 7, 2018 3:56 pm
Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: Recording with Audacity

  It’s a professional mic. SM58 mic. And I need it on USB. 

 Sent from my iPhone  
On Dec 7, 2018, at 12:50 PM, (Redacted sender "jojoafbmil" for DMARC) 
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Hi lol ok no problem its confusing at times especially with all the new 
technology that continues to unfold.    Older microphones use 1/4 that is on 
one end and a XLR connectors are 3-pin connectors on the other end that XRL 
connects into the mike. Some however are wired directly into the mike and they 
have the 1/4 on one and the mike on the other end. They are in most cases not 
stereo.   You pc microphone is a 1/8 and it is stereo for example.    Your 
pedal jack is most likely a ¼ jack.    So when converting a ¼ jack to a 1/8 
jack its important to use a proper adapter that is mono on one end and stereo 
on the other end. Older mikes are mono. Your pedal cord most likely is mono 
without the model # or make I can not say for shure.       Often used in 
pro-audio applications, this connector is also known as a phone connector. This 
is because it was used for years by telephone operators to patch telephone 
connections together. It has a tip/ring/sleeve design, like the 3.5mm 
connector, but it is larger in length and diameter. The 1/4-inch connectors may 
have only a tip and sleeve, or a tip, ring and sleeve (TRS). A TRS connection 
is used for balanced audio lines, or depending upon the equipment, for stereo 
sound. The 1/4-inch connectors are very common on musical instruments 
(especially guitars), and other staging devices such as effects pedals, mixing 
consoles, speakers, and amplifiers.   A common amp like say a Fender Basemen 10 
or a Pa have female jacks that are 1/4.    The 3.5 mm connector is commonly 
called a 1/8-inch connector or a mini-plug. This connector is a small, thin 
metal plug that can be used to carry one, two, or even three signals. The tip 
of the plug is separated from the sleeve of the connector by a concentric band 
of insulating material. For stereo or audio/video versions of the plug, there 
may be one or two additional metal bands, called rings, placed between the tip 
and the sleeve. 3.5mm connectors are commonly used for computers and portable 
devices for mono or stereo audio. A computer's sound card uses these connectors 
for speakers, line-in/line-out connections, and also for microphones. Portable 
devices use the 3.5mm interface as a line-out  connection for headphones or for 
connection to an auxiliary input on an amplifier. The "three-pole" version of 
the 3.5mm plug is often used on camcorders. This plug has a tip and two rings, 
which can carry video as well as right/left stereo audio.      Similar in size 
to the standard 3.5 mm connector, the 3.5 mm Optical Mini Plug is designed for 
digital audio application. This connector is commonly found on Apple® computers 
and some portable audio devices. This type of connector is often adapted to a 
standard TOSLINK® connector. MIDI  MIDI is  short for Musical Instrument 
Digital Interface is a technical standard that describes a communications 
protocol, digital interface, and electrical  connectors that connect a wide 
variety of electronic musical instruments, computers, and related audio 
devices. A single MIDI link can carry up to sixteen channels of information, 
each of which can be routed to a separate device. MIDI carries event messages 
that specify notation, pitch, velocity, vibrato, panning, and clock signals 
(which set tempo). For example, a MIDI  keyboard or other controller might 
trigger a sound module to generate sound produced by a keyboard amplifier. MIDI 
data can be transferred via midi cable, or recorded to a sequencer to  be 
edited or played back.   I will break it down for you some more.    
 Common Cable Connectors Explained
 In the audio world, there are six common cable connectors you’ll come across 
frequently: TRS and XLR for balanced connections and TS, RCA, SpeakON, and 
banana plugs for unbalanced connections. TRS
TRS is the abbreviation for “Tip, Ring, Sleeve.” It looks like a standard 1/4″ 
or 1/8″ plug but with an extra “ring” on its shaft. TRS cables have two 
conductors plus a ground (shield). They are commonly used to connect balanced 
equipment or for running both left and right mono signals to stereo headphones. 
You will also find TRS connectors on the stem of Y cables. These are used for 
mixer insert jacks where the signal is sent out through one wire and comes back 
in through the other. XLR
XLR connectors are 3-pin connectors: positive, negative, and ground. They are 
usually used for transmitting microphone or balanced line-level signals. In 
audio, you will typically see XLR cables connecting microphones to mixers and 
connecting various outputs to powered speakers. TS
TS is the abbreviation for “Tip, Sleeve” and refers to a specific type of 1/4″ 
or 1/8″ connector that is set up for 2-conductor, unbalanced operation. One 
insulator ring separates the tip and sleeve. The tip is generally considered 
the “hot,” or the carrier of the signal, while the sleeve is where the ground 
or shield is connected. TS cables are best known as guitar or line-level 
instrument cables. RCA
RCA is the common name for phono connectors used to connect most consumer 
stereo equipment. Typically, you will see tape or CD inputs and outputs using 
RCA connectors. In the digital audio realm, RCA connectors are also used for 
S/PDIF connections, although true S/PDIF cables are more robust. speakON
A speakON connector is used to connect power amplifiers to PA speakers and 
stage monitors. These are often preferred over 1/4″ TS connections because of 
their ability to lock into place. Since you should NEVER use an instrument 
cable to connect an amp to a speaker, they also help to avoid risky cabling 
mixups. Banana Plug
A banana plug is an electrical connector that is designed to join audio wires, 
such as speaker wires, to the binding posts on the back of many power 
amplifiers or to special jacks called banana jacks. These jacks are commonly 
found at the ends of binding post receptacles on the back of power amps. The 
ends of the wires are held in place by a locking screw.   An audio interface An 
audio interface is a piece of hardware that expands and improves the sonic 
capabilities of a computer. Some audio interfaces give you the ability to 
connect professional microphones, instruments and other kinds of signals to a 
computer, and output a variety of signals as well. In addition to expanding 
your inputs and outputs,  audio interfaces can also greatly improve the sound 
quality of your computer. Every time you record new audio or listen through 
speakers and headphones, the audio interface will reproduce a more accurate 
representation of the sounds. They’re an component in computer-based audio 
production. They’re used for recording music and podcasts, and in video post 
production for recording voice-overs and sound design When an audio interface 
is used with a computer, it acts as the computer’s sound card. In this sense, 
an audio interface is very similar to a consumer sound card. However, the 
similarities end there. A good audio interface not only enables you to connect 
an assortment of different analog and digital signals, it also provides a more 
accurate digital clock and superior analog circuitry that improves the overall 
sound quality. You can achieve an entirely different level of audio than you 
would by just using the stock sound card that comes with a computer.   Some 
audio interfaces connect to computers through common USB ports, while others 
use more esoteric connections like PCMCIA slots. When you’re choosing an audio 
interface, it’s very important to determine the specific kind of port that’s 
available on your computer. This will help you find an audio interface that 
will be compatible with your computer, and narrow down the number of possible 
models from which you can choose. 
Which one is the best port to use to connect an audio interface to a computer?
 This depends on your specific needs. If you plan on tracking and overdubbing 
with multiple microphones or instruments simultaneously, you’re better off 
using a high-speed port such as FireWire. If you don’t plan on recording with 
more than two microphones at a time, you’ll likely be fine just using a USB 1.0 
interface. The more  demanding your needs, the higher the bandwidth of an 
interface you’re going to need. The hierarchy of interface bandwidth speeds 
from lowest to highest goes from: USB 1.0, USB 2.0, FireWire, 
PCMCIA/ExpressCard, PCI. 
What features does an audio interface need in order to connect professional 
 If your primary need is the ability to connect microphones to a computer, you 
should look for an audio interface with XLR microphone inputs. Professional 
microphones connect with three-pin XLR jacks. XLR connectors are desirable 
because they lock into place and provide a more secure audio connection.  An 
audio interface outfitted  with microphone inputs will typically come with 
anywhere from one to eight XLR inputs Many audio interfaces come with jacks 
called “combo” inputs. This kind of jack combines a three pin XLR input with a 
1/4” TRS input in one socket. Combo inputs tend to confuse people, because they 
look different than XLR and 1/4” TRS inputs, yet they accept both kinds of 
plugs. It’s important to familiarize yourself with combo inputs, so you know 
what they are when you’re deciding which interface to purchase. 
What is “Phantom Power” and why would I need it?
 Some microphones require a little flow of electricity in order to operate, 
while other kinds of microphones are capable of picking up sound without any 
power at all.  Certain kinds of microphones run on batteries, while other kinds 
of microphones are fed power from the device that they’re plugged into. It’s 
called “phantom power” when the device that the microphone is plugged into 
supplies it with electricity. Most audio interfaces that feature mic inputs 
will also supply phantom power. Because only certain kinds of microphones 
require phantom power, audio interfaces have a switch to turn it on and off. 
Phantom power tends to intimidate beginners because it just sounds spooky. Fear 
not. Using phantom power is about as complicated as flipping a light switch to 
turn on a table lamp. Besides being called phantom power, it is also referred 
to as “+48V.” 
What are line-level TRS inputs and outputs, and why would I need them?
 Line-level inputs and outputs can be very useful; however, to use them 
properly you must first understand the distinction between mic-level and 
line-level. Microphones output a very weak signal. The signal is so weak that 
it needs to be boosted up by a preamp when connected to a mic input. Line-level 
audio signals are much stronger than mic-level signals, and require no 
additional amplification.  Therefore, line-level signals need a different kind 
of input than microphones do. Line-level inputs and outputs on audio interfaces 
usually show up as 1/4” TRS jacks or 1/4" TS jacks. 1/4” is the diameter of the 
plug and TRS stands for Tip, Ring and Sleeve; TS for Tip, Sleeve. TRS 
connections are desirable because they provide a balanced (grounded) 
connection, which is better at rejecting noise that long cable runs can pick 
up, or reducing "ground" hum. An example of when you would use line-level 
inputs is when you’re recording the audio from a keyboard. Most professional 
keyboards have stereo line-level outputs. You can connect these directly to the 
line-level inputs on an audio interface. When you’re connecting studio monitors 
(powered speakers) to an audio interface, you plug them into the line-level 
outputs. You can also use line-level inputs and outputs to connect external 
effects, compressors, limiters and all kinds of stuff. Other connectors include 
3/8" mini and RCA (phono) connectors.          
Additional Cable Connectors
 1/8″ (Mini) — 1/8″ diameter plug (or jack) used in smaller audio/visual 
interconnects. The connector may be TRS or TS. This is the size of most 
iPod-style headphone connectors. This is the type you have on your computer for 
line in or mike in as well as headphones ( Note they are stereo jacks)  AES — 
AES/EBU is the most common alternative to the S/PDIF standard and the most 
common AES/EBU physical interconnect is AES Type I Balanced — 3-conductor, 
110-ohm twisted pair cabling with an XLR connector. BNC — A type of coaxial 
connector often found on video and digital audio equipment. BNC connectors are 
normally used to carry synchronizing clock signals between devices. BNCs are 
bayonet-type connectors rather than screw on or straight plugs. DB25 — A type 
of D-Sub connector. DB25s are commonly found on computing equipment where they 
are employed to connect peripherals. TASCAM commonly uses the DB25 connector 
for analog and/or digital I/O on their products as do some other brands. Elco 
(or Edac) — A brand and type of multi-pin connector used in audio systems and 
equipment for connecting multi-pair cables with one connector (instead of 
many). Both Elco and Edac come in 20-, 38-, 56-, 90-, and 120-pin 
configurations. Insert/Y Cable — A cable used to split a signal into two parts 
or combine two signals into one. The term Y cable is used, because the cable is 
like (and looks like) the letter Y, with two parts joined into one, or one 
split into two, depending upon how you look at it. Y cables are common 
throughout audio as a simple and easy way to accomplish these two tasks. 
Optical — Optical cables are for compatible 2-channel S/PDIF connections and 
Alesis ADAT lightpipe connections. The ADAT optical connections are for 
transferring digital audio, eight tracks at a time. They have become an 
industry standard and are used in a wide range of products from many 
manufacturers. S/PDIF — A format for interfacing digital audio equipment 
together, S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format) is considered a 
consumer format and is largely based on the AES/EBU standard. In fact, in many 
cases, the two are compatible. S/PDIF typically uses either unbalanced, 
high-impedance coaxial cables or fiber-optic cables for transmission. FireWire 
(IEEE 1394) — First developed for video because of its high-speed data 
transfer, FireWire is now widely used for digital interfaces in the audio 
realm. FireWire is currently available as 4-pin and 6-pin (for FireWire 400), 
and 9-pin (for FireWire 800). The 6- and 9-pin versions can also supply power. 
TDIF — TDIF is an acronym for TASCAM Digital InterFace. This is the protocol 
TASCAM developed to use in their modular digital multitrack and digital mixing 
products, for doing digital transfers of audio. TDIF connections are made via a 
25-pin D-Sub connector and data is carried on shielded cable. The TDIF standard 
is currently one of two major formats (the other being ADAT optical) widely 
used in pro and semi-pro MDM-related products for digital transfer of more than 
two tracks of audio simultaneously using only one cable. TT (Tiny Telephone) — 
A miniature version of what is known as a phone jack or phone plug. We commonly 
refer to this type of jack as a 1/4″ jack (our modern version actually is 
slightly different in size), which could come in TS and TRS forms. ADC built 
essentially the same type of connector but referred to it as a Bantam 
connector. Currently, the two names are interchangeable. TT/Bantam jacks are 
commonly used in recording studio patch bays.          -----Original 
From: Marissa Miranda <pianogirlforlife7@xxxxxxxxx>
To: audacity4blind <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Dec 7, 2018 2:05 pm
Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: Recording with Audacity

  I didn’t understand lol.  

 Sent from my iPhone  
On Dec 7, 2018, at 9:53 AM, (Redacted sender "jojoafbmil" for DMARC) 
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  The sizes are common called 1/4 and 1/8 for example your guitar or older 
style amps take a 1/4 Male mono and your phone or PC take a 1/8 stereo male 
plug.  There are now most common is 1/4 TRS is similar to stero. For example a 
monitor output on a typical usb interface would use a 1/4 TRS another typical 
types are.  XLR Male – which connects to various hardware inputs.
XLR Female – which connects to the microphone, and various hardware outputs.
TRS – which connects to both inputs AND outputs. And midi cables most common 
are 5 and 7 pin types. 

   On Friday, December 7, 2018 Marissa Miranda <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 

  Can someone please give me the dimentions of it? I don’t know what size the 
big plug is. But it is a professional mic I’d use for my keyboard. 

 Sent from my iPhone  
On Dec 7, 2018, at 8:37 AM, Steve the Fiddle <stevethefiddle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

   From ebay they cost about $1.   Steve
    On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 16:26, Redacted sender jojoafbmil for DMARC 
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Hi, what I do is use a AMZER 2 Pack Gold Plated 3.5mm Stereo Jack Adaptor to 
6.35mm Stereo Plug, 3.5mm Male to 6.35mm Female They are inexpensive and 
wallmart has them.  Link below.  

   On Friday, December 7, 2018 Marissa Miranda <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 
  I only have a 3.5 mm jack and 3 or so USBs on my computer. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2018, at 7:37 AM, <tr.galanos@xxxxxxxxx> <tr.galanos@xxxxxxxxx> 

Also, you can get an audio interface that accepts xlr and quarter inch plugs. 
It is a usb device.

Ted Galanos - 
Audio Technician for TheBlindPerspective.com.
Email: Teddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 832-632-7779
Mobile: 832-706-7102
Skype: tedster1
Follow me on:
Please consider donating to my Achieving a Better Life Experience.
Thanks and God bless you!
“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not 
seen.” - Hebrews 11:1

-----Original Message-----
From: audacity4blind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
<audacity4blind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Marissa Miranda
Sent: Friday, December 7, 2018 7:37 AM
To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [audacity4blind] Recording with Audacity

I am trying to record over an instrumental I have, but the program wants to 
use the computer’s mic, which isn’t good for recording quality. I do have a 
mic, that has a huge end. Not sure what it’s size is. It’s not the small 3.5 
mm plug. It’s the bigger one, like a piano pedal plug, if anyone knows what I 
mean. Do they make adapters for that type of plug to USB? Also, why did it 
keep skipping when I played back the recording? Also, is there a way  to add 
reverb and effects like that? I just started using Audacity, and all I know 
is how to play, pause, and record.  

Sent from my iPhone
The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives, Audacity keyboard 
commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to 
with subject line

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
with subject line

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
with subject line

Other related posts: