[audacity4blind] Re: Recording with Audacity

  • From: David Engebretson Jr <accessible.engineering@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 18:38:20 -0800

Marissa, it sounds like you need a simple USB device.  I have a Behringer 404 
(100 bucks) from Amazon.  I think there is an even less expensive Behringer 202 
that would suffice for your needs.


From: Marissa Miranda 
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2018 6:27 PM
To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: Recording with Audacity

Lol. All i wanna do is get this song done by Christmas. I have the instrumental 
in stereo quality. I use GarageBand, but sometimes, it’s iffy on my phone. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2018, at 6:16 PM, (Redacted sender "jojoafbmil" for DMARC) 
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  The adapter first mentioned would be my 1st option I use them all the time. 
Also you can boost the audio in windows playback and/or recording devices.

  I use them all the time however not on a microphone. At least not yet lol. 

  Audacity I am thinking can do reverb if not you can get a in expensive reverb 
for mike's I used a few in the past. Years ago I got one from RadioShack when 
using multitrack tape recorders. 

  On Friday, December 7, 2018 Marissa Miranda <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 

  Which would be the most cost effective option? I just want to record vocals 
over a track. And add reverb and such to it too. 

  Sent from my iPhone

  On Dec 7, 2018, at 1:31 PM, (Redacted sender "jojoafbmil" for DMARC) 
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Shure SM58 Handheld Dynamic Vocal Microphone

    Is an XRL model depending on the cord you got it can be XLR connectors - 
male plug on one end, female on the other. 

    Or you can get an XRL one end that connects to the microphone and ¼ that 
can be connected to the ¼ adapter 

    Because its recommended and uncommon and/or XRL it is not typical to use 
XLR connectors for stereo signals, unless it is for a special one-off purpose 
where the lack of balancing doesn't matter, and the convenience factor 
outweighs anything else. 

    That microphone is not stereo and the adapter mentioned in the 1st 
responded to would work.

    If you wanted or needed to plug it into your PC sound card or pc microphone 

    First, an SM58 is a dynamic mic, so it does not need phantom power. Phantom 
power probably won't hurt it, but it's not doing anything so turn it off. That 
being said, dynamic mics tend to have less signal level coming in than a 
condenser mic(condenser mics are mics that require phantom power. 

    Also Any dynamic microphone with a low impedance balanced output, like the 
SM58, is not affected by phantom power. Phantom Power will not damage a 
professional dynamic microphone.

    And interfaces do give you the option of phantom power or not using it.  If 
and when you are considering an interface make sure that you can put it on and 

    In references to , the microphone has an XLR or other analog plug that 
doesn’t appear to be readily compatible with your computer. You might be able 
to get away with plugging it in to the analog audio in on your PC, but the 
interference and lack of power can have an adverse effect on your overall sound 
quality Re the USB (universal serial bus) if it requires one. 

    USB Mic Converter
    If you have an XLR microphone, you’re probably going to want to take a look 
at one of the simplest solutions out there. An XLR to USB signal converter 
plugs directly in to your microphone and provides a USB connection directly to 
the computer. From there, your system detects a USB microphone and your 
built-in system drivers take over from there.

    The great thing about these adapters is that they often provide 48V phantom 
power to the microphone. Many XLR mics, especially large diaphragm condenser 
microphones, require phantom power to generate clean audio that comes across a 
sensitive capsule located within the frame. Sound waves don’t actually do a lot 
of pushing, so some microphones need a little extra energy to amplify that 
signal and send down audio. This is a good thing One option available to you is 
the Icicle from Blue. Blue makes an excellent line of microphones including the 
Yeti and Snowball. The Icicle is essentially a single piece that connects to 
the bottom of your XLR microphone and provides a USB port on the other end. No 
special drivers are required, and you can use it with Mac, PC, and Linux. A 
single analog volume knob on the device makes fine-tuning your volume levels 
easy. You can find the Icicle for around $40 fairly easily.

    The other option would be an interface but make sure its compatible with 
audacity which the prior post have discussed. Verify that with the technical 
support folks who make the interface. Also make sure its clear if you want to 
do multiple tracks at a time if not and you just want to do 2 tracks at a time 
then that is not an issue. 

    I mentioned two that some claim work with Audacity here was another one I 
was looking at Tascam US-16x8 USB 2.0 Audio Interface 

    I do multiple at one time for example a band or when digitizing multi track 
recordings. I also posted a work around for that.  

      SM58 mic

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Marissa Miranda <pianogirlforlife7@xxxxxxxxx>
    To: audacity4blind <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Sent: Fri, Dec 7, 2018 3:56 pm
    Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: Recording with Audacity

    It’s a professional mic. SM58 mic. And I need it on USB. 

    Sent from my iPhone

    On Dec 7, 2018, at 12:50 PM, (Redacted sender "jojoafbmil" for DMARC) 
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

      Hi lol ok no problem its confusing at times especially with all the new 
technology that continues to unfold. 

      Older microphones use 1/4 that is on one end and a XLR connectors are 
3-pin connectors on the other end that XRL connects into the mike. Some however 
are wired directly into the mike and they have the 1/4 on one and the mike on 
the other end. They are in most cases not stereo.

      You pc microphone is a 1/8 and it is stereo for example. 

      Your pedal jack is most likely a ¼ jack. 

      So when converting a ¼ jack to a 1/8 jack its important to use a proper 
adapter that is mono on one end and stereo on the other end. Older mikes are 
mono. Your pedal cord most likely is mono without the model # or make I can not 
say for shure.  

      Often used in pro-audio applications, this connector is also known as a 
phone connector. This is because it was used for years by telephone operators 
to patch telephone connections together. It has a tip/ring/sleeve design, like 
the 3.5mm connector, but it is larger in length and diameter. The 1/4-inch 
connectors may have only a tip and sleeve, or a tip, ring and sleeve (TRS). A 
TRS connection is used for balanced audio lines, or depending upon the 
equipment, for stereo sound. The 1/4-inch connectors are very common on musical 
instruments (especially guitars), and other staging devices such as effects 
pedals, mixing consoles, speakers, and amplifiers.

      A common amp like say a Fender Basemen 10 or a Pa have female jacks that 
are 1/4. 

      The 3.5 mm connector is commonly called a 1/8-inch connector or a 
mini-plug. This connector is a small, thin metal plug that can be used to carry 
one, two, or even three signals. The tip of the plug is separated from the 
sleeve of the connector by a concentric band of insulating material. For stereo 
or audio/video versions of the plug, there may be one or two additional metal 
bands, called rings, placed between the tip and the sleeve. 3.5mm connectors 
are commonly used for computers and portable devices for mono or stereo audio. 
A computer's sound card uses these connectors for speakers, line-in/line-out 
connections, and also for microphones. Portable devices use the 3.5mm interface 
as a line-out connection for headphones or for connection to an auxiliary input 
on an amplifier. The "three-pole" version of the 3.5mm plug is often used on 
camcorders. This plug has a tip and two rings, which can carry video as well as 
right/left stereo audio.

        Similar in size to the standard 3.5 mm connector, the 3.5 mm Optical 
Mini Plug is designed for digital audio application. This connector is commonly 
found on Apple® computers and some portable audio devices. This type of 
connector is often adapted to a standard TOSLINK® connector.
      MIDI  MIDI is  short for Musical Instrument Digital Interface is a 
technical standard that describes a communications protocol, digital interface, 
and electrical connectors that connect a wide variety of electronic musical 
instruments, computers, and related audio devices. A single MIDI link can carry 
up to sixteen channels of information, each of which can be routed to a 
separate device.
      MIDI carries event messages that specify notation, pitch, velocity, 
vibrato, panning, and clock signals (which set tempo). For example, a MIDI  
keyboard or other controller might trigger a sound module to generate sound 
produced by a keyboard amplifier. MIDI data can be transferred via midi cable, 
or recorded to a sequencer to be edited or played back.

      I will break it down for you some more. 

       Common Cable Connectors Explained
      In the audio world, there are six common cable connectors you’ll come 
across frequently: TRS and XLR for balanced connections and TS, RCA, SpeakON, 
and banana plugs for unbalanced connections.
      TRS is the abbreviation for “Tip, Ring, Sleeve.” It looks like a standard 
1/4″ or 1/8″ plug but with an extra “ring” on its shaft. TRS cables have two 
conductors plus a ground (shield). They are commonly used to connect balanced 
equipment or for running both left and right mono signals to stereo headphones. 
You will also find TRS connectors on the stem of Y cables. These are used for 
mixer insert jacks where the signal is sent out through one wire and comes back 
in through the other.
      XLR connectors are 3-pin connectors: positive, negative, and ground. They 
are usually used for transmitting microphone or balanced line-level signals. In 
audio, you will typically see XLR cables connecting microphones to mixers and 
connecting various outputs to powered speakers.
      TS is the abbreviation for “Tip, Sleeve” and refers to a specific type of 
1/4″ or 1/8″ connector that is set up for 2-conductor, unbalanced operation. 
One insulator ring separates the tip and sleeve. The tip is generally 
considered the “hot,” or the carrier of the signal, while the sleeve is where 
the ground or shield is connected. TS cables are best known as guitar or 
line-level instrument cables.
      RCA is the common name for phono connectors used to connect most consumer 
stereo equipment. Typically, you will see tape or CD inputs and outputs using 
RCA connectors. In the digital audio realm, RCA connectors are also used for 
S/PDIF connections, although true S/PDIF cables are more robust.
      A speakON connector is used to connect power amplifiers to PA speakers 
and stage monitors. These are often preferred over 1/4″ TS connections because 
of their ability to lock into place. Since you should NEVER use an instrument 
cable to connect an amp to a speaker, they also help to avoid risky cabling 
      Banana Plug
      A banana plug is an electrical connector that is designed to join audio 
wires, such as speaker wires, to the binding posts on the back of many power 
amplifiers or to special jacks called banana jacks. These jacks are commonly 
found at the ends of binding post receptacles on the back of power amps. The 
ends of the wires are held in place by a locking screw.

      An audio interface
      An audio interface is a piece of hardware that expands and improves the 
sonic capabilities of a computer. Some audio interfaces give you the ability to 
connect professional microphones, instruments and other kinds of signals to a 
computer, and output a variety of signals as well. In addition to expanding 
your inputs and outputs, audio interfaces can also greatly improve the sound 
quality of your computer. Every time you record new audio or listen through 
speakers and headphones, the audio interface will reproduce a more accurate 
representation of the sounds. They’re an component in computer-based audio 
production. They’re used for recording music and podcasts, and in video post 
production for recording voice-overs and sound design
      When an audio interface is used with a computer, it acts as the 
computer’s sound card. In this sense, an audio interface is very similar to a 
consumer sound card. However, the similarities end there. A good audio 
interface not only enables you to connect an assortment of different analog and 
digital signals, it also provides a more accurate digital clock and superior 
analog circuitry that improves the overall sound quality. You can achieve an 
entirely different level of audio than you would by just using the stock sound 
card that comes with a computer.

      Some audio interfaces connect to computers through common USB ports, 
while others use more esoteric connections like PCMCIA slots. When you’re 
choosing an audio interface, it’s very important to determine the specific kind 
of port that’s available on your computer. This will help you find an audio 
interface that will be compatible with your computer, and narrow down the 
number of possible models from which you can choose.

      Which one is the best port to use to connect an audio interface to a 
      This depends on your specific needs. If you plan on tracking and 
overdubbing with multiple microphones or instruments simultaneously, you’re 
better off using a high-speed port such as FireWire. If you don’t plan on 
recording with more than two microphones at a time, you’ll likely be fine just 
using a USB 1.0 interface. The more demanding your needs, the higher the 
bandwidth of an interface you’re going to need. The hierarchy of interface 
bandwidth speeds from lowest to highest goes from: USB 1.0, USB 2.0, FireWire, 
PCMCIA/ExpressCard, PCI.
      What features does an audio interface need in order to connect 
professional mics?
      If your primary need is the ability to connect microphones to a computer, 
you should look for an audio interface with XLR microphone inputs. Professional 
microphones connect with three-pin XLR jacks. XLR connectors are desirable 
because they lock into place and provide a more secure audio connection.  An 
audio interface outfitted with microphone inputs will typically come with 
anywhere from one to eight XLR inputs
      Many audio interfaces come with jacks called “combo” inputs. This kind of 
jack combines a three pin XLR input with a 1/4” TRS input in one socket. Combo 
inputs tend to confuse people, because they look different than XLR and 1/4” 
TRS inputs, yet they accept both kinds of plugs. It’s important to familiarize 
yourself with combo inputs, so you know what they are when you’re deciding 
which interface to purchase.
      What is “Phantom Power” and why would I need it?
      Some microphones require a little flow of electricity in order to 
operate, while other kinds of microphones are capable of picking up sound 
without any power at all.  Certain kinds of microphones run on batteries, while 
other kinds of microphones are fed power from the device that they’re plugged 
into. It’s called “phantom power” when the device that the microphone is 
plugged into supplies it with electricity. Most audio interfaces that feature 
mic inputs will also supply phantom power. Because only certain kinds of 
microphones require phantom power, audio interfaces have a switch to turn it on 
and off. Phantom power tends to intimidate beginners because it just sounds 
spooky. Fear not. Using phantom power is about as complicated as flipping a 
light switch to turn on a table lamp. Besides being called phantom power, it is 
also referred to as “+48V.”
      What are line-level TRS inputs and outputs, and why would I need them?
      Line-level inputs and outputs can be very useful; however, to use them 
properly you must first understand the distinction between mic-level and 
line-level. Microphones output a very weak signal. The signal is so weak that 
it needs to be boosted up by a preamp when connected to a mic input. Line-level 
audio signals are much stronger than mic-level signals, and require no 
additional amplification.  Therefore, line-level signals need a different kind 
of input than microphones do.
      Line-level inputs and outputs on audio interfaces usually show up as 1/4” 
TRS jacks or 1/4" TS jacks. 1/4” is the diameter of the plug and TRS stands for 
Tip, Ring and Sleeve; TS for Tip, Sleeve. TRS connections are desirable because 
they provide a balanced (grounded) connection, which is better at rejecting 
noise that long cable runs can pick up, or reducing "ground" hum. An example of 
when you would use line-level inputs is when you’re recording the audio from a 
keyboard. Most professional keyboards have stereo line-level outputs. You can 
connect these directly to the line-level inputs on an audio interface. When 
you’re connecting studio monitors (powered speakers) to an audio interface, you 
plug them into the line-level outputs. You can also use line-level inputs and 
outputs to connect external effects, compressors, limiters and all kinds of 
stuff. Other connectors include 3/8" mini and RCA (phono) connectors. 

      Additional Cable Connectors
      1/8″ (Mini) — 1/8″ diameter plug (or jack) used in smaller audio/visual 
interconnects. The connector may be TRS or TS. This is the size of most 
iPod-style headphone connectors. This is the type you have on your computer for 
line in or mike in as well as headphones ( Note they are stereo jacks) 
      AES — AES/EBU is the most common alternative to the S/PDIF standard and 
the most common AES/EBU physical interconnect is AES Type I Balanced — 
3-conductor, 110-ohm twisted pair cabling with an XLR connector.
      BNC — A type of coaxial connector often found on video and digital audio 
equipment. BNC connectors are normally used to carry synchronizing clock 
signals between devices. BNCs are bayonet-type connectors rather than screw on 
or straight plugs.
      DB25 — A type of D-Sub connector. DB25s are commonly found on computing 
equipment where they are employed to connect peripherals. TASCAM commonly uses 
the DB25 connector for analog and/or digital I/O on their products as do some 
other brands.
      Elco (or Edac) — A brand and type of multi-pin connector used in audio 
systems and equipment for connecting multi-pair cables with one connector 
(instead of many). Both Elco and Edac come in 20-, 38-, 56-, 90-, and 120-pin 
      Insert/Y Cable — A cable used to split a signal into two parts or combine 
two signals into one. The term Y cable is used, because the cable is like (and 
looks like) the letter Y, with two parts joined into one, or one split into 
two, depending upon how you look at it. Y cables are common throughout audio as 
a simple and easy way to accomplish these two tasks.
      Optical — Optical cables are for compatible 2-channel S/PDIF connections 
and Alesis ADAT lightpipe connections. The ADAT optical connections are for 
transferring digital audio, eight tracks at a time. They have become an 
industry standard and are used in a wide range of products from many 
      S/PDIF — A format for interfacing digital audio equipment together, 
S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format) is considered a consumer format 
and is largely based on the AES/EBU standard. In fact, in many cases, the two 
are compatible. S/PDIF typically uses either unbalanced, high-impedance coaxial 
cables or fiber-optic cables for transmission.
      FireWire (IEEE 1394) — First developed for video because of its 
high-speed data transfer, FireWire is now widely used for digital interfaces in 
the audio realm. FireWire is currently available as 4-pin and 6-pin (for 
FireWire 400), and 9-pin (for FireWire 800). The 6- and 9-pin versions can also 
supply power.
      TDIF — TDIF is an acronym for TASCAM Digital InterFace. This is the 
protocol TASCAM developed to use in their modular digital multitrack and 
digital mixing products, for doing digital transfers of audio. TDIF connections 
are made via a 25-pin D-Sub connector and data is carried on shielded cable. 
The TDIF standard is currently one of two major formats (the other being ADAT 
optical) widely used in pro and semi-pro MDM-related products for digital 
transfer of more than two tracks of audio simultaneously using only one cable.
      TT (Tiny Telephone) — A miniature version of what is known as a phone 
jack or phone plug. We commonly refer to this type of jack as a 1/4″ jack (our 
modern version actually is slightly different in size), which could come in TS 
and TRS forms. ADC built essentially the same type of connector but referred to 
it as a Bantam connector. Currently, the two names are interchangeable. 
TT/Bantam jacks are commonly used in recording studio patch bays.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Marissa Miranda <pianogirlforlife7@xxxxxxxxx>
      To: audacity4blind <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      Sent: Fri, Dec 7, 2018 2:05 pm
      Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: Recording with Audacity

      I didn’t understand lol.  

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 7, 2018, at 9:53 AM, (Redacted sender "jojoafbmil" for DMARC) 
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        The sizes are common called 1/4 and 1/8 for example your guitar or 
older style amps take a 1/4 Male mono and your phone or PC take a 1/8 stereo 
male plug. 
        There are now most common is 1/4 TRS is similar to stero. For example a 
monitor output on a typical usb interface would use a 1/4 TRS another typical 
types are. 
        XLR Male – which connects to various hardware inputs.
        XLR Female – which connects to the microphone, and various hardware 
        TRS – which connects to both inputs AND outputs.
        And midi cables most common are 5 and 7 pin types. 

        On Friday, December 7, 2018 Marissa Miranda 
<audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

        Can someone please give me the dimentions of it? I don’t know what size 
the big plug is. But it is a professional mic I’d use for my keyboard. 

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Dec 7, 2018, at 8:37 AM, Steve the Fiddle <stevethefiddle@xxxxxxxxx> 

          From ebay they cost about $1.


          On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 16:26, Redacted sender jojoafbmil for DMARC 
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

            Hi, what I do is use a AMZER 2 Pack Gold Plated 3.5mm Stereo Jack 
Adaptor to 6.35mm Stereo Plug, 3.5mm Male to 6.35mm Female
            They are inexpensive and wallmart has them.  Link below. 

            On Friday, December 7, 2018 Marissa Miranda 
<audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

            I only have a 3.5 mm jack and 3 or so USBs on my computer. 

            Sent from my iPhone

            > On Dec 7, 2018, at 7:37 AM, <tr.galanos@xxxxxxxxx> 
<tr.galanos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
            > Also, you can get an audio interface that accepts xlr and quarter 
inch plugs. It is a usb device.
            > Ted Galanos - 
            > Audio Technician for TheBlindPerspective.com.
            > Email: Teddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            > Phone: 832-632-7779
            > Mobile: 832-706-7102
            > Skype: tedster1
            > Follow me on:
            > Facebook.
            > Twitter. 
            > Youtube.
            > Please consider donating to my Achieving a Better Life Experience.
            > Thanks and God bless you!
            > “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of 
things not seen.” - Hebrews 11:1
            > -----Original Message-----
            > From: audacity4blind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 
<audacity4blind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Marissa Miranda
            > Sent: Friday, December 7, 2018 7:37 AM
            > To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            > Subject: [audacity4blind] Recording with Audacity
            > I am trying to record over an instrumental I have, but the 
program wants to use the computer’s mic, which isn’t good for recording 
quality. I do have a mic, that has a huge end. Not sure what it’s size is. It’s 
not the small 3.5 mm plug. It’s the bigger one, like a piano pedal plug, if 
anyone knows what I mean. Do they make adapters for that type of plug to USB? 
Also, why did it keep skipping when I played back the recording? Also, is there 
a way to add reverb and effects like that? I just started using Audacity, and 
all I know is how to play, pause, and record.  
            > Sent from my iPhone
            > The audacity4blind web site is at
            > //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind
            > Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives, Audacity 
keyboard commands, and more...
            > To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to 
            > with subject line
            > unsubscribe 

            > The audacity4blind web site is at
            > //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind
            > Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
            > Audacity keyboard commands, and more...
            > To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
            > audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            > with subject line
            > unsubscribe

            The audacity4blind web site is at

            Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
            Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

            To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
            with subject line

Other related posts: