[audacity4blind] Re: Recording levels

  • From: "Sean Paul" <newsandtraffic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 08:34:34 -0400

Lynn:
The Audio Technica ATR-2100 mic will not work directly with the iDevices.
However, you can purchase an addaptor from VeriCorder which will allow this to
happen. These adapters get a little on the expensive side very quickly & come
with a recording app which is worthless. If you should purchase one, use the
built in recording memos app or purchase FiRe 2 which is a field recording app.
If you're wanting to get the audio from around you. Meaning grab the ambiance
from the area around you. Might I suggest just using the built in mic on the
iDevice? As a news reporter, this is what I use most time in the field. I have
found that the built in mics on the iDevices are great specially when you use
FiRe 2 which will allow you to mix audio outside of apples compression
parameters. One of the tricks of the trade which I use is to cram the iPhone
down in an old unused sock. Yes, washed of course to act as a pop filter & help
with wind noise if outdoors. However, I also use the iRig mic which can be
found online as well as at some local Walmart stores. This mic runs anywhere
from 50-65 US dollars depending on from where it is purchased. I also have
great success using this mic for interviews as well. This mic is a condenser
mic which has 3 different audio settings for getting the best sounding audio.
This mic does plug directly in to the headphone jack of any iDevice & comes
with a jack on the mic for plugging in a pair of headphones, ear buds, etc for
monitoring the audio from it as well as the audio from the device such as
voiceover, etc. Again, a good idea when using this mic as with any mic is to
either use the old sock trick or purchase a pop filter specially when using a
mic out of doors. As you can tell, I'm a big proponent of the iDevices as field
recorders. I have given up expensive audio recorders in my news gathering &
reporting in favor of just using the iDevices as a field recorder. However,
having said that, I am currently interested in getting a Zoom just for messing
with & recording with at times if needed. I can't speak on use of the 2100 with
a Zoom as I do not currently have one, however, I'll do some research & let you
know later this afternoon. I'd say we're probably drifting way off topic for
this list. So, David, I'd like to apologize well in advance & ask that if
anyone would care to continue this mic discussion that we do it off the list
unless David says that it is fine to continue it on list. As I'm sure that you
all can tell. I love mics, what makes them work & which ones of them work with
what & in the best settings. I'm constantly doing research on mics & their
operation & situation workings & when & where they work best in those
situations.