[audacity4blind] Re: Recording duration

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 12:27:26 -0600

If you set the source as microphone, your screen-reader won't be recorded
directly.  It will be recorded by the microphone.  To avoid this, if it matters
enough to stop, you can use headphones.

There is no reason to set any duration.  If you don't set one, the recording
will continue until you run out of room on the hard drive.  That is the limit
on how long you can record.

I believe that the fat32 file system imposes a limit on how large files can be.
 I would think it is very likely you are using the NTFS file system so that
limit doesn't apply.  But when you export the recording to another format, such
as mp3, don't use the wave format.  The wave format takes an enormous amount of
room and there is a size limit on wave files regardless of the file system
being used.  You are making a microphone recording of a meeting or seminar or
whatever it is exactly.  There is no reason to use a format that takes a lot of
room.  Exporting the file as an mp3 is more than adequate or some other
compressed format such as ogg.  These files don't have any size limits.

Gene