[audacity4blind] Re: Recording Skype conversations.

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 17:46:06 +0100

| From "Robbie" <tickleberryfun@xxxxxxxxx>
| Wed, 2 May 2012 16:41:15 +0200
| Subject: Recording Skype conversations.
> Thanks for your help, but I think my machine just isn't rigged out to do
> this. I read somewhere that Sony specifically ask Realtec to provide chips
> that don't provide a Stereo Mix option.

Sony Vaio's used to have a switch confusingly called "stereo mix"
to change the input from mono microphone to stereo line level,
so even if Vaio's had an input for recording computer playback it
probably would not be called "stereo mix".

There are not many free programs to record computer playback
but here is one:
http://www.milosoftware.com/en/index.php?body=soundleech.php .

It seems to still be a work in progress but as yet without
restrictions. It does not record a mix of all the sounds playing,
but gets the sound direct from the application producing it.
So if there is an e-mail beep while recording YouTube, it won't
record the beep.

There is another free app. called "Freecorder" which sits in the
web browser but it has toolbars bundled with it.

Gale