[audacity4blind] Re: Recording Audio Cassettes

  • From: Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 18:37:26 +1000

Hi Steve

Any level that is too high is not good, unless of course you like distortion (smile).

A little while ago I went to quite a lot of effort to write a script to check levels in Audacity. Then version 2.1.1 (I think) was released and made my work redundant. The Audacity people's work is much more elegant than mine.

Here is some background for newbies. Audacity consists of three main areas. The track view, which is where you land when launching, is in the middle. Pressing control-f6 takes you to a section that has lots of goodies for checking/adjusting time. Pressing shift-control-f6 from the track view takes you up to the toolbar area. There are lots of really useful facilities there too, but I will concentrate on the level meters.

Having pressed shift-control-f6, tab until you reach Record Meter. As you tab to it, the current peak level will be reported. Pressing the Application Key will give you options. One is to start/stop monitoring. This is a great facility for setting levels before starting a recording. The play meter is similar.

Check out the Audacity Manual for more details. Keep in mind that the current peak level is shown. That is, the loudest sound. If using JAWS you have to tab out of the meter and back in to check whether the peak has gone up, while asking NVDA to read the current line will do the trick.

Andrew

On 18/07/2017 10:25 PM, Steve S (Redacted sender sgsmg49 for DMARC) wrote:

Helloe andrew and  All,

Well I’ve done my first successful cassette recording. I’m using a cassette deck and line input into a Dell laptop. I used the Split New method for breaking up the tracks. Now Andrew or anyone if you could please give me some direction for using the recording level meters I’d really appreciate it. I feel that the levels are just a bit too high straight out of the box but not horrible. Thanks much.

Steve