[audacity4blind] Re: Reading and Recording

  • From: Jennifer Bose <jen10514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 14:53:02 -0500

On 2/3/14, Michelle Creedy <michelle.creedy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello List
>

> Does anyone have experience reading Braille while being recorded? I have to
> read something on the radio and there's all sorts of concern about the
> BrailleNote and the clicks. Now while I can honor that, I'm feeling
> frustrated! Everyone wants me to use JAWS and listen and read. I simply
> have
> never trained myself to do so because I'm a Braille reader. If you want a
> monotone recording, sure, I'll do that then. It feels like my Braille is
> always heavy weather for people. My idea is to put the BrailleNote on my
> lap
> and to have a blanket over my hands like a think one to absorb the sound.
> I'm planning for my hands to be under the table. Honestly, this doesn't
> have
> to be such a big deal but I need to honor the concern presented. I  know
> I'm
> coming across as frustrated but with all the fancy technology everyone has
> nowadays, it feels like I'm tolerated with my Braille which is so not a
> topic for this list. Yes, back to recording.
>

> Michelle

Reading your script on the radio shouldn't be such a big issue, I
agree. But with a Braille display, there are a few things to think
about: Those radio microphones can pick up anything, whether it's
Braille display clicks or maybe even any noise your hand might make in
contact with the blanket. If you can find a way to conceal all that
with the mikes and read smoothly off the Braille display, it should be
fine. Clicks are definitely hard to edit out of any text you record.
Another option might be to just Braille out the script or have it
embossed from a Braille printer, if you have access to one. If you can
read from a paper copy, put the paper on a surface and just read with
your hands giving it a light touch and not making much hand-on-paper
noise.

I agree that using JAWS and listening is tough and I'd rather read in
Braille too. Let us know how this goes.

Jen