[audacity4blind] Re: REQUEST FOR RECORDING SETTINGS

  • From: Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 17:28:08 +1000

Hi Sameer

Apologies for the slow response, explained below. You asked: what reverb, noise gate and compression settings did you use?

The short answer is I don't know and the slightly longer answer is that it is not relevant to your situation. A longer answer follows.

For logistical reasons I used Reaper to record while working with Audacity. I found that more effective than setting up two instances of Audacity. The reverb and compression was therefore applied in Reaper. The sad part of the story is that, upon reading your message, I opened the Reaper project to check what effects I had used and found that the project had become corrupted. I am just about certain the problem is with the compressor I used. Given that I had saved the recording, this should not have been a major issue, but I becamefrustrated and dejected.

But to your quest for knowledge. The amount of and type of effect you use will depend very much on your environment - room size, microphone, voice and, importantly, the sound you like. I use some compression to try to level out my inconsistent speech level. A good narrator would not have such an issue with that. I also like a touch of reverb to add a bit of depth. There is a strong temptation to over-do the reverb. That works for Phil Collins and others (smile) but for podcasts and the like excessive reverb is more offputting than than pleasant.

When applying reverb to Audacity, I do the following. Make a copy of the track and apply the reverb to that copy. You can then continue to pull back the level on the reverb track until you get the sound you want. If you decide later you want more or less reverb, you can adjust the reverb track and leave the original as was. You do need to be careful with overall level, as the two tracks together may cause distortion if too much gain.

As for compression, it is the bane of my life. Most compressors I have tried refuse to give me the sound I want. This is not helped my the countless settings, most of which I do not understand despite an ongoing quest to do so. One day though!

Andrew

On 21/08/2017 4:38 PM, Sameer Vasta wrote:

Hi List and particularly Andrew

I'm in the process of recording a podcast.

What are the recommended ideal recording settings (values) for the
application of reverb, noise gate and compression effects?

Andrew, what reverb, noise gate and compression settings did you use
during the Audacity intro you did about a month ago?

Kind regards

Sameer

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line
unsubscribe