[audacity4blind] Re: Question about Converting to MP3

  • From: Justin Trevino <jtrevino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 05:53:21 -0500

Michelle,
Robbie is absolutely right.
320 kbps is the highest available bit rate for mp3 encoding.
The higher the bit rate the less the file compression hence the better the audio quality.
I always export my mp3s at 320.
Now, if file size is an issue the file becomes smaller as you reduce the bit rate. The only time I export at a lower bit rate is if I intend to email somebody that mp3, and I can see that It's going to be too large to email at 320 kbps. In that situation I try to find the highest available bit rate that will still compress the resulting file just enough so I can email it. I've only encountered that once, and it was because the radio station I was emailing had restrictions on their server that would only allow them to receive small files.
I hope this was helpful.
Justin
On 6/23/2014 3:15 AM, Robbie wrote:

Hi Michelle!

Yes you can export to mp3 format. However, converting an already compressed file, say m4a or ogg, will result in loss of quality because the material is compressed twice. In the export dialogue you can tab down to Options and adjust the compression rate. If you're converting from another compression format you should select the lowest compression (320), to minimize quality loss.

Cheers! Robbie