[audacity4blind] Re: Popping

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:53:18 +0100

| From "Robbie" <tickleberryfun@xxxxxxxxx>
| Sat, 13 Oct 2012 13:20:24 +0200
| Subject: [audacity4blind] Popping
> I have three tracks, guitar, vocals and vocal reverb. None of the
> individual tracks pop, but when I play all three there is popping.
> Naturally I thought it was due to the combined volume of the tracks, so I
> lowered the gain. To no effect. The level is way below other tracks that
> don't cause any problem and the popping doesn't decrease. Any advice would
> be most welcome.

Is the popping in the Audacity project before you export it,
or only in a lossy export like MP3?

If the popping is in Audacity, I suggest first making sure there
really are no peaks that are clipping when mixed together. To
test that, select all three tracks, then CTRL + SHIFT + M
(Mix and Render to New Track). Select the mixed track (it will
be at the bottom, called "Mix") then Analyze > Find Clipping... .
You can leave the default values at "3" to begin with, which will
label any regions that have three or more clipped samples.

As far as I know a screen reader won't read any labels that are
produced, but you can File > Export Labels... as a text file and
read the file. The file contains time ranges where the clipping
occurs.

If clipping is found, it may be best to lower the track gains much
more, mix the tracks, then use Effect > Compressor on the mixed
track to reduce the dynamic range. Reducing dynamic range lets
you amplify back up to a higher level without introducing clipping.
By default, Compressor will do an amplify to 0 dB - the highest level
without clipping - for you.