[audacity4blind] Re: Playback commands for checking a selected time range

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 09:52:45 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Gary,
thanks for your feedback. One of the developers has mentioned the possibility
of having a playback cursor which wasn't tied to the selection cursor, but I'm
not sure when or if this will be implemented.

thanks again,
David.

On Saturday, 8 August 2015, 22:38, Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think the problem I have stems from the fact that the arrow keys are
how we "look at what we're doing" with the sound, but they also remove
the selection. I have the same frustration with word processors. It
would be nice to be able to separate the play cursor from the selection,
and then be able to set the left or right marker to the current play
position. This could be done with commands to set the left or right
position of the saved region. I think that might go a long way to help
with this. Oh No! I will have to think of two more convenient
keystrokes!! :-) (although ALT+e,g and ALT+e, n aren't too bad, so
similar menu items with unique keystrokes might not be too bad.) I
believe there is a feature using the mouse that allows you to play at a
particular point without changing the selection. I think I am looking
for that ability with the keyboard.

Something I often do is move to the start or end field in the selection
bar and increment/decrement one of them by a couple of tenths/hundredths
of a second and then check the results with c to see how my delete will
sound. I also set a region boundary while playing, then without leaving
play, back up to take another run at hitting the spot, and possibly
compare the position of the region boundary with that of the play
position. Of course all this does is let me guess whether I like the
new spot better than the old.

I'm sure that I will find the new commands discussed in this thread
useful as well. Unfortunately, my laptop requires that you press the FN
key to get a function key, which makes using them more inconvenient.

I would also like to be able to adjust the position of the start or end
of a region label, or the position of a point label, in the same way.
Not quite sure how I would want that to be implemented though. I can do
that now with the label editor, but it involves remembering/writing down
positions and entering them manually.

BTW: I find the save/restore region facility very useful. Since it is
not affected by undo, I can undo a noise reduction, save the region of
the noise sample, redo, and check how much the noise was attenuated.
(Of course, I could have saved the region in the first place if I had
thought of it!)

Gary

On 7/21/2015 9:43 AM, Gene wrote:

That sounds like a convenient feature. I'm not sure from your message
what you are describing but if you are saying that the feature will
use commands such as function keys to move the cursor and the right
marker, as in Goldwave, I think that would benefit more casual users
of the program.

Gene
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Bailes"
<david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>