[audacity4blind] Re: Overdubbing Using Internal Soundcard Windows10

  • From: jacob kruger <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 08:05:11 +0200

Ok, Rick, pure test here - I have a custom built desktop PC, but, it does have a realtek onboard sound card in use.

I do have the microphone plugged into the rear socket, and, not the socket mounted on the front panel at this stage- could try that if really necessary, but, don't think necessarily needed here, since think could almost replicate the issue.

Or, maybe not, but, let me explain.

I used the generate menu, chirp to just add a demo sound to a track and then copy and paste it multiple times, so it plays repeatedly.

If I then select all, and, tell the transport menu to move cursor to beginning, and then try record, it still only appends microphone input to end of track, after the test sounds, and, inserted into a newly generated track?

However, if I first tell it to insert a new stereo track, select all and shift cursor to beginning, but then make sure the initial track is unselected, but, the second, new track is selected, then when I initiate recording, I can talk over the test sound, without them seeming to interfere with each other's volume levels, but, lined up to match the timing I was listening to while recording?

I did get a bit of crackling in the microphone recording, but, hadn't bothered plugging in earphones, so, the speakers were busy spitting out the repeated chirping sound while I was busy.

Anyway, like said, this is a custom built PC, but, can otherwise specifically try out front microphone socket if you want, but, all really meant was you should double-check that the voice recording is not just being appended to the end even if you heard the initial audio playing back while speaking.

Jacob Kruger
+2782 413 4791
Skype: BlindZA
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."
On 2020-09-03 06:29 PM, Rick USA wrote:

Hi guys and thanks for the heads up:

I did muck allot with any settings I could find in Windows to no avail unless I missed a setting.

So I did a clean install of my operating system to remove any junkware.

The only software I have downloaded is NVDA and audacity so the potential apps I need to check is, hopefully, limited.

I would still like to hear from anyone using the internal sound card to see if the Windows10 / realtech combination can be made to work by tweaking some settings within windows or some related app I have not yet considered.

I will start scouring my machine again for potential problem areas.

I hope someone has already had this problem and found a fix, sigh.

Rick USA

On 2020-09-03 02:13 PM, Rick USA wrote:

    Hi:

    I am using a recent Dell XPS computer, Windows10 Pro, the
    preinstalled Realtech  audio card, 3.5 plug Mike in front panel,
    NVDA and Audacity.

    When I generate a Click track and then play it while recording a
    test vocal track over it I am having a problem.

    Apparently every time a click is played either the volume of the
    second vocal track is lowered way down or cut out all together.

    If I record a long solid EEEEEEEEEk

    While listening to the click track I hear

    E, E, E, E, E, k with short silence between each e where a click
    would otherwise have been played after I mute the click track.

    I had this happen in Reaper as well and one fellow suggested I buy
    an audio interface.

    I am asking if anyone has done a overdubbing multi-track recording
    using just the internal sound card and a mike to see if it may
    just be some setting causing the problem.

    I will likely get an audio interface but the Berringer I want is
    out of stock and will be for some time to come.

    If this problem would not be resolved using an audio interface
    that would just be more wasted time and money so I am looking
    around to see if anyone else has addressed this problem or has a
    similar setup that is working correctly.

    P.S. I used headphones so as not to get any playback feedback via
    the audio output and the external mike.

    Thanks for any help:

    Rick USA

    Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>
    for Windows 10

The audacity4blind web site is at //www.freelists.org/webpage/audacity4blind Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives, Audacity keyboard commands, and more... To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with subject line unsubscribe