[audacity4blind] Re: New member, and some very basic starter questions.

  • From: "Christopher-Mark Gilland" <clgilland07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 18:25:11 -0400

Thanks.

I appreciate it.

Chris.

---
Check out my web site at:
http://www.clgproductions.net
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Vitor Ferreira
  To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 6:02 PM
  Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: New member, and some very basic starter
questions.

  Hello.

  Please find attached a written guide on Audacity from the blind user's
perspective.

  These instructions apply specially for JAWS users.
  There you will find answers to the most important questions, including
navigating hrough a file and selecting audio.

  As for basic commands, here are a fiew:

  To move between tracks, use up and down arrow.

  To select a track, press enter upon it.

  To solo or unsolo a track, press shift plu the letter s.

  To mute or unmute a track, press shift plus the letter u.

  Always remember to select a track with enter before you do anything.

  Now, here is an audio tutorial for the very basic functions. You may listen
or download each episode individually. Clic

  Here
  Best regards

  Vitor

  On 19/03/2015 19:24, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:

    Hi everyone.

    Coming from the standpoint that I normally use ProTools on my mac with
Voiceover, I never ever thought I'd see the day that I'd even touch Audacity
with a 10 foot poll, however, I'm really at this point eating crow pretty badly
from the Windows standpoint side of Audasity.

    On Windows, I have access to JAWS 15, and 16, preferably 16, NVDA 2015.1,
and Window-Eyes 9.1.

    I have downloaded the JAWS scripts for Audacity, although I really haven't
had much chance yet to go through them.

    Before I ask my questions, I would like to make it very plainly clear to
say that yes.  I have! looked at the Audacity documentation in the keyboard
shortcuts section.  I've also looked in general, a bit at the accessibility
section, which is actually ironically how I found out about this list.

    So here is my question.  On Windows, I would personally prefer to use
Audasity in combination with the scripts with JAWS.  Again, I do have the other
screen readers, but I really don't prefer them except for having them as
backups.

    Looking in the help manual, I really don't see how to navigate around my
project.

    For example:  How do I move from track to track, if I have multiple tracks
within a project?  I've not set up a scenareo yet where I have to worry about
that, as all I've done has been one track, but eventually, I know that will
change.

    Second of all, how do I navigate around the project.  I saw no keystrokes
to do that.  The only ones I really saw were home to move to beginning, and end
to move to the end of the recording.

    I discovered by exploring, that left and right arrow keys seem to be moving
me, according to what the scripts are announcing, by about half a secvond
forward and backward in the recording.  But, here is the thing that is really
odd about that.  I had an mp3 music track that I imported.  I hit the right
arrow and got it to the point where I was about 2 seconds into the song.  I
then hit the home key.  That did! return me to 0.  However, when I then hit the
right arrow again at that point, rather than moving me a fraction of a second
forward, it jumped me about 2 seconds inward.  So, what's up with that?

    Secondly, I saw a keystroke to mute and unmute all tracks, but what if I
only want to mute one particular track?  I saw no way in the keyboard shortcuts
to do this.  did I overlook it?

    What if I want to go the other way, and solo! a particular track?

    I also didn't see a way to select multiple tracks contigulously nor
noncontiguously to apply certain things on globally across the session.

    Getting back to navigating, I saw no way to drop a mark in, and mark out
marker for editting a selection of audio, and believe me, I looked everywhere
in the shortcuts reference.  Also, if the markers are a little bit off, how do
I then move each of them to the left or right just a tad bit in the project to
fine tune my selection?

    Finally, when using left and right arrows, and I haven't tried, but I
assume! page up and down to move in bigger chunks, how do I increase or
decrease the nudge value to move forward or back?  Again, I saw no way under
the keyboard reference that stated how to do this.

    I'm totally confident that all of this can be done, and that you all can
give me if not the direct answers, at least the rellavent sections of the
documentation to look at.  I'm sorry for all these questions, especially coming
from a total newby, but believe me when I say I'm an incredibly! fast learner,
so don't worry about overwhelming me.  Just give me my answers, and I'll read
all of you all's responses at my own pace.

    Also, is there an audio mp3 tutorial that I can download that demonstrates
the basic functionality of Audacity from a blind perspective?  And if so, how
up to date is it?

    If not, I'd be happy to contribute and make one  for free covered under the
GPL, which I'll share with all Audacity users, blind or not.  I can't though
until I get my head around the above questions.

    Thank you for everyone's help!

    God bless.

    Chris.

--