[audacity4blind] Re: New User with an Editing Question

  • From: Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 08:22:30 +1000

Hi Jim

On the general point of using Audacity with various screen readers, at a fundamental level it makes little or no difference. I have used it with NVDA, Window-Eyes and JAWS and, apart from a few idiosyncratic situations there is no difference. I haven't used the JAWS scripts and assume they had embellishments but I can't say I feel the need for more feedback than I get with NVDA.

You mentioned tutorials and the like. All very useful and don't forget the well-written manual that comes with Audacity.

Now to the issue of being returned to the start of the file when pressing spacebar. If you stop play with shift-a instead of the spacebar your cursor will be at that position. If you press left bracket ([) when playing the cursor will be placed there while play continues. Pressing right bracket (]) when playing will set that point as the end point of the section to be edited. If you press left or right bracket when not playing you will be presented with a dialog to set the beginning and end respectively of the highlighted area. I have found that most valuable. Having set a highlighted region, pressing spacebar will play it and only it. You can make fine adjustments with those left and right brackets. There are also several other options for extending or contracting the highlighted area. When you have some time on your hands, go into Preferences (ctrl-p) and check out under Keyboard the keys already assigned to functions.

Andrew

On 25/05/2016 11:29 PM, Jim Fettgather wrote:

Regarding the suggestions below for editing in Audacity:

You've probably pressed pause instead of stop.
Ensure that:
- stop is pressed
- the track itself is selected (enter key)
- a selection region is defined (with the brackets, shift + j/K or the
selection controls)

I have ensured that the track is selected by pressing Enter.
It seems as if you press Space Bar to stop, in order to make an edit at the current location, you are returned to the beginning of the file.
If I understand correctly, you cannot press P to pause in order to edit, but must press space bar to stop.
If that is the case, is there something that needs to be done so that you are not returned to the beginning of the file?

Thanks for input on what I know to be very basic concepts for experienced users.

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line
unsubscribe