[audacity4blind] Manuals and tutorials (Re: nyquist little manual)

  • From: "Damien Sykes-Lindley" <damien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 09:16:29 +0100

Hi,
I don't know why, but Nyquist kind of reminds me of the GoldWave expression evaluator. Not sure if it's because the common upshot was I couldn't understand either one of them, despite having a programming background. Lol.
Seriously though, I may be mistaken but they both may have this weird caveat that you need a working knowledge of both programming, and digital audio structure. The latter I have no experience with whatsoever, so when people talk about adding signals to increase volume or multiplying signals to mix or multiplying/dividing individual samples to manipulate speed...I haven't a clue how that works in practice. I was always taught that 2*2=4, not chipmunk. *Grin*.
At least making an attempt to be serious again, I think it's more a theory behind digital audio processing is more what's needed. Everything I have seen so far has either been very technical, or doesn't make sense. For instance, I read somewhere, or at least understood it as, that an audio sample is a number between -1 and 1. If that were the case, that could easily be stored in 2 bits, yet audio is generally saved as 16, mixed at 32 bit, which I calculate as providing ranges of -32768 to 32767 and -2147483648 to 2147483647 respectively.
Additionally, I can't seem to find anything regarding a logical explanation as to what the numbers mean. The simplest explanation used most often, which I understand to a degree, is that each number represents either an amplitude, or a speaker position. I've seen both explanations, not sure how they link together but I guess they do. But nothing explains why doing something to one number and something else to another can change the output in a way that makes me think that adding would logically change the volume, multiplying would logically change the speed, using a square root of the inverse sign might apply a filter, or raising to the power of 16, dividing by Pi and adding the number of miles between NASA's latest rocket and the sun would cause a flange. In case those weird formulas start a form of interesting debate, let me clarify for those that didn't pick up on it that those last ones are completely made up garbage...I've no idea what would cause those effects and I've no idea what using those formulas might do - knowing my luck probably cause a lot of distortion and unwanted hiss.
But as you can see. I personally think that's the kind of tutorial that is needed.
I've always wanted to make a convolution plugin since neither GoldWave or Audacity seems to have one - Wondering if Nyquist is up to such a task once I can get all this theory learned first.
Cheers.
Damien.
-----Original Message----- From: Steve the Fiddle
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 8:48 AM
To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: nyquist little manual

There is this page in the Audacity wiki that covers much of the
Audacity specific Nyquist information:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist_Plug-ins_Reference

The complete reference for Nyquist functions is in the full Nyquist
manual: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rbd/doc/nyquist/indx.html
and detailed information about LISP in Nyquist (with examples) can be
found here: http://www.audacity-forum.de/download/edgar/nyquist/nyquist-doc/xlisp/xlisp-index.htm

Steve

On 14 August 2017 at 08:39, Paolo Giacomoni <paolgiac@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi listers.
I.m looking for a little nyquist manual, specially for audacity applications.
Thanks you
Paolo
The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line
unsubscribe