[audacity4blind] Re: Lowering overriding effect of some forms of sounds in a recording

  • From: Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 19:19:31 +1100

No Jacob, it doesn't sound silly. This is what happens when you record live action. It can be fascinating (and sometimes downright annoying) how what seems like an innocuous bump is so much louder than other sounds. If the sound occurs when you are talking, making corrections can be difficult. That said, pulling down the level at that point can still work.

When editing a recording, I try to find sounds that a significantly louder than the rest of the recording. Depending on circumstances, I will delete the sound or drop the level. Using compression (Audacity Effects Menu) can also help.

Ideally of course you want to avoid the problem in the first place. Recording in a room without a lot of echo helps.

Others may have further suggestions.

Andrew

On 12/11/2016 12:07 PM, Jacob Kruger wrote:

This may sound silly, but, for example, looking into recording forms of podcast material relating to a form of cooking instructor describing activities while they're busy with them, but, playing around with a couple of test runs in environment, etc., for example, even what sounds like a normal bit of a klunk sound when placing something like a pot on the stove seems to almost drown out other sounds, like the person talking, etc.

Now have tested/tried this out with both the built-in microphone on an android phone, as well as with both a directional/vocal-input, and a omni-directional microphone, then working with them plugged in to my laptop that I normally use for recording with audacity, but, that sharp, metallic sound still seems to come across a lot louder than it should in relation to other sounds.

So, suggestions on how to try stop this from happening - as in, something along the lines of normalising levels, but, somewhat focusing on these types of sounds?

Suppose could try something like noise reduction, using a specific piece of the sound as the initial sample, but, think that might just affect too many of the other sounds in the recording, and, in any case, I don't really want to lose the sound, but, just stop it from overriding other sounds quite so much, if that makes sense.

Anyway, suggestions, ideas, and/or things to try out?

Did, for example, already try placing the phone itself inside a cardboard box, and, both the microphones I tried out do have foam covers over their microphone heads, but, didn't really seem to make too much of a difference either way - the omni-directional microphone will hopefully also give us more of the surround sound atmosphere, without necessarily needing to make use of multiple recordings of the same session, using multiple input devices, but anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line
unsubscribe