[audacity4blind] Looking for some brave Mac users

  • From: "Leland" <leland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 21:44:36 -0500

Hi,

I'm one of the Audacity developers and have a couple of requests.

Some of you may know Audacity uses wxWidgets for its GUI support. Up to
this point, we've been using wxWidgets version 2.8.12 and it really didn't
provide very good accessibility, so a few years ago I had hacked together a
bunch of stuff to make Audacity at least somewhat accessible on the Mac.
That was using the Carbon interface to the accessibility APIs on the Mac.

Well, the next version of Audacity will be using wxWidgets 3.0.2 and that
will require me to completely rewrite the accessibility support using the
Cocoa APIs. I regret to say that I've run out of time and this will not be
in the 2.1.2 release, but that's okay as it will allow us (if you're
willing) to spend a little more time on it and (hopefully) get it better
than it was before.

I've actually made some headway, so it's looking good, but am nowhere near
ready to ask for testing. However, I did get to wondering how many Mac
users are out there? And if, when the time comes, would you be willing to
help test out the accessibility before we release the post-2.1.2 release?

Thanks much,

Leland