[audacity4blind] Re: JAWS script for Audacity 2.0.0

  • From: Scott Berry <scottbb1973@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 17:59:30 -0600

Garry,

Would you be terribly upset if I helped with the scripts? I think I have some ideas.

On 5/17/2012 4:39 PM, Gary Campbell wrote:

Hello,

While my family has been gone for the past 10 days I've been playing with Audacity a bit. A search of the list archive indicated that there are no JAWS scripts for Audacity. I wrote a script that provides keystrokes to speak the selection start and end fields without having to move to the selection bar. It also displays the shortcut keys from David Bailes's guide (thank you!!!). You can get it from my SkyDrive here <https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=3DA8E70D6C09879A%21147&authkey=%21AGdwYGcMheHBz2o>. There is audacity_jaws.exe, a self-extrector, and audacity_readme.txt, the README from audacity_jaws.exe. Unfortunately, I wrote it at the end of the time I have had to use Audacity, so I don't have much experience with how useful the script actually is. (My family is due back any moment, so "playing with the computer" will have to return to it's normal low priority!) The README appears at the end of this message. While I can't promise a response in a timely manner, I would be interested in your feedback and suggestions for when I have time to work on it again.

One thing I would like and don't know how to do is to report the program's status---playing, recording, paused, etc. Say you are recording and have to pause to do something else. When you come back, did you pause or stop? You're recording and and are away from the computer. When you come back, did the cat or someone else hit the spacebar and stop your recording? I can tell that recording is in progress by the "space remaining" message on the status bar, and whether or not it is paused by whether the Audio Position is increasing, but I think an easier way to detect the state would be useful. If anyone has ideas about how to do this I would be interested.

Gary

Audacity_readme.txt from audacity_jaws.exe:

5/16/2012 JAWS script for Audacity V1.0 by Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>

This script adds the following scripts for Audacity 2.0.0:

SaySelectionStart

SaySelectionEnd

SayActiveCursor

ScriptFileName

HotkeyHelp

WindowKeysHelp

This package provides the following:

Keystrokes to speak selection start, selection end or length, and Audio Position from anywhere in the main window.

Keystrokes to move the focus to selection start and selection end/length.

Displays JAWS and Audacity hotkey help.

The script was developed with Audacity 2.0.0 and JAWS 10.0.1178u. It should probably work with any JAWS 5.0 or later, but if you aren't using JAWS 10.0.1178u you should recompile the scripts with the script manager, or run "<JAWSProgDir\scompile.exe audacity.jss".

There is no specific Braille support at this time.

To install:

Place the archive in your user-specific JAWS settings folder (such as %appdata%\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\10.0\Settings\enu).

Run it to unpack the files.

If you are not using JAWS 10.0.1178u, select audacity.jss in Windows Explorer and press ENTER to open it in Script Manager. Then press CTRL+s to compile it and ALT+F4 to close Script Manager.

Messages and string constants are in audacity.jsm facilitating translation.

The script version appears in JAWS hot key help.

I would be interested in feedback on the script and suggestions for improvement, but can't promise any updates.

Here is the text of the JAWS hot key help:

JAWS keystrokes for script version 1.0 5/16/12, for Audacity 2.0.0:

To say the selection start position, press Control+[.

To say the selection end position or length, press Control+].

To move focus to these controls, press the key twice quickly.

To say the Audio Position value, press Alt+Delete.

To say the active cursor while the PC cursor is active, press Alt+Delete twice quickly.

To get help with Audacity hot keys, press JAWSKey+W.

To get the default Windows hot key help, press JAWSKey+W twice quickly.

Enjoy.

--
Have a beautiful day
Scott Berry