[audacity4blind] Re: Inserting Audio within an Existing Track

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 14:58:08 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Rich,
one possibility for the behaviour which you describe, is that before using the
left bracket, you've pressed ctrl+a to select everything. Pressing ctrl+a
selected all the tracks and selects a time range which covers all the audio. If
you press left bracket during playback when there's a time range already
selected, this changes the position of the start of the time range, and leaves
the end of the time range unchanged.
If this has been the problem, then either:
1. after pressing ctrl+a, press home to deslect any time range and move the
cursor to time zero.
2. Instead of use ctrl+a, either use enter to toggle the selectedness of
tracks, or press ctrl+shift+k to select all tracks (without affecting whether a
time range is selected).

If this wasn't the problem, could you give a detailed list of actions that
you're doing?

David.

On Wednesday, 12 November 2014, 13:32, Rich De Steno <ironrock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I know this subject has come up before on this list, but I still cannot
get it right.  When I want to insert a piece of audio or a track within
an existing track, I place a left square bracket at the entry point in
the existing track and press control-v for pasting. However, this always
overwrites the prior audio after the left bracket, rather than pushing
it back.  I get around this by braking up the sections into separate
tracks and using the connect tracks option in the tracks menu, but that
involves more work.  How do you paste audio within an existing track
without overwriting?

--
Rich De Steno