[audacity4blind] Re: Input, Output, and Audio Host Settings

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 10:36:33 +0100

> From Rich De Steno <ironrock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Thu, 15 May 2014 08:53:32 -0400
> Subject: [audacity4blind] Input, Output, and Audio Host Settings
> I do not understand some of the options presented for input, output,
> and audio host.

Have you read:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/device_toolbar.html ?

> If I press shift-i for input, I can choose among Primary sound capture
> driver or individual devices on my computer. What do I select for
> microphone input and what do I select for line input?

If you don't read microphone and line-in there, you will need to enable
them in Windows Sound. This page explains the steps:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Mixer_Toolbar_Issues#vistacp .

Note that it is normal for new laptops to have no line-in, but only
an input for an external microphone.  If you want line-in then you
have to buy an external USB audio interface or USB sound card.

> If I press shift-o for output, I can choose Primary Sound Driver
> or the Individual output devices on my computer.  What is best
> to select?

Do you have more than built-in speakers and built-in headphones?

The easiest way to answer specific questions is for you to open Help >
Audio Device Info... , right-click > Copy, right-click > Select All, then
paste in here.  But enable all your inputs and outputs in Windows
Sound first (as above).

> If I press shift-h for audio host, I can choose among MME, Windows
> Direct Sound, Windows WASAPI, or Windows WDM-KS.  The only one I
> understand is WASAPI, which is recording streaming audio. Other than
> that, what do these choices mean?

Please read the Manual page above. Feel free to ask if you still
have questions after that.

Gale