[audacity4blind] Re: Increasing Playback Speed While Keeping Pitch Normal

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 09:42:48 +0100 (BST)

Hi Dave,
this is in reply to getting the length of the track, and selecting a time range
using [ and ] during playback.

Finding the length of the audio in a track. If you move the cursor to the end
of the track, you can then read the cursor position, which will give you the
length of the track.
1. If there's only a single track, then press end to move to the end of all the
audio.
2. If there's more than one track, select the track that you're interested in,
and make sure the other tracks are unselected. Then press k to move to the end
of the audio in the selected tracks.
3. One way of reading the cursor position is to move to the selection bar by
pressing ctrl+f6, and then tabbing to the selection start control. If no time
range is selected, then the value of the selection start control is the cursor
position. Press ctrl +f6 twice to return to the track table.
Another way of reading the cursor position is to press [. When there's no
playback, this opens a selection start dialog, which contains the cursor
position. Note that if you're using Jaws, the Jaws misreads this and says time
zero. However, if you tab round the dialog and back to the cursor position, it
reads the correct time.

To select a time range during playback, you can simply press [ to mark the
start of the selection,
] to mark the end of the selection and spacebar to stop.  You don't have to
pause at any point. However, the advantage of pausing before pressing [ or ] is
that you can easily hear where you've paused, and also if it isn't quite where
you wanted, you can unpause and try again, if necessary using left arrow and
right arrow to seek backwards and forwards.

David.