[audacity4blind] Re: I'm back

  • From: "Nolan Darilek" <nolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:12:58 +0100

Oh, rock. I've seen lots of your plugins around, and tried to learn how to write them myself, but lisp-like languages have always been a challenge for me so my attempt didn't last long. :) Can I toss out a couple plugin requests? No obligation, of course, but if you find yourself looking for another plugin project and wanting to identify a need, here 'ya go. :) These can also be taken as questions if I'm missing some means of doing something. I'm looking to start my podcast, though, and there are a couple tasks I still can't figure out how to accomplish.

IIRC, the envelope tool is inaccessible. I'd like to partially fade out bed music for podcast intros, talk over the faded bits, fade back in then do a full fade. Is there any way to make the envelope tool accessible? Failing that, perhaps partial fade plugins could be written? They could accept, say, percentage of original amplitude as a parameter, then fade the selection in or out to that percentage. Or maybe just additional "Fade in/Fade out" effects with a single control, so they'll appear as "Fade in..." near "Fade in" in the menus?

I'm also wanting to timeshift tracks such that, say, I can insert bumpers and promos at various points. If this tool can't be made accessible, could it be made so via an effect? Or is inserting silence the way to go? Just seems like the timeshift tool makes that process easier. If inserting silence doesn't make the project size explode, perhaps a "Timeshift track to current" plugin could request a specific track and insert enough silence to bump it to the current time? This would allow me to load bumpers onto a separate track, move to the point in the voice track where I'd like to shift it, select the effect, select the track and have enough silence/shift applied to have the track play at the right time. Seems a bit easier than finding the point, reading the current time, moving to the new track, going to the beginning, selecting a tiny bit and inserting enough silence.

Again, no obligation, just some thoughts from an Audacity newbie really wanting to podcast with it. And, again, if I've missed ways to accomplish any of these, do let me know. Thanks!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Berry" <sberry@xxxxxxxxxxx>