[audacity4blind] How to successfully record from a tape deck to digital

  • From: Donna Smith <donnafsmith59@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:05:57 -0500

Hi all.

My name is Donna and I am an absolute newby interested in only
learning enough to accomplish a specific task.  That task is recording
my cassette tape material to digital.  I have some very old tape of
music that are home recordings in the first place and I don't expect
great results.  That is, I'm not really looking to make the sound
quality better.  I just want to preserve it.

I bought the BEHRINGER U-PHONO UFO202 to connect the tape deck to my
computer for recording and downloaded the latest version of Audacity.
I was pleasantly surprised to find Audacity so keyboard command
friendly!

Here is my specific problem.  When I connect the tape deck to my
laptop and start recording, there is a distorted sound such as you get
when you turn the speakers up too loud.  This happens even though I
have the sound level on the tape deck very low.  If I turn it all the
way down, then I just get distortion noise in the recording minus the
music on the tape.  I've had someone who can see to make sure that I
have the connection cables in the right place and I have grounded the
tape deck.

What can I do to eliminate this problem?  And please, please explain
in user friendly terms for someone who knows nothing about recording
music.

I thank you all in advance for your responses and for allowing me to
lower the quality of discussion for a little while.  <smile>

Donna