[audacity4blind] Re: Exporting Files in Audacity

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 23:24:18 +0100

| From "David Van Der Molen" <dvm975@xxxxxxxxx>
| Sat, 13 Oct 2012 17:03:08 -0400
| Subject: Exporting Files in Audacity
> Is 96 KBPS a high-quality MP3 format?  If I decide to stick with Audacity,
> record at 96 KBPS, edit the project and export to 128 KBPS, should that give
> me a high-quality recording?

You don't record at "96 kbps". Perhaps you mean the project rate
in Hz? 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz is fine as the project rate for recording
for MP3 export. There is no point setting it higher, because MP3
does not support more than 48000 Hz.

You should choose the MP3 export bit rate according to the
amount of quality loss you feel is acceptable and the file size
you want. Try different bit rates. Speech doesn't usually contain
very high frequencies so as Gene says, there is not very much
quality loss if you choose a reasonably high bit rate.

If you click "Options" when you export as MP3 you can also
consider one of the "Variable" choices - this will usually give better
quality for the same bit rate compared to "constant bit rate",
(or average) but again with speech it will probably not make much
difference.

Gale