[audacity4blind] Re: Does Audacity Have a Pause Function?

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:58:41 +0100 (BST)

Hi Gene,
concerning any advantage of pressing pause before pressing left bracket or
right bracket during playback.
One advantage is that you can more easily hear the point in the audio where you
pressed the key. Then, if you hear that you're a little out, you can press p to
resume, press left arrow a few times to jump back a little, and the have
another go to pause in the right place.

David.

On Tuesday, 22 April 2014, 4:30, Gene <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there a way to move the cursor by tiny increments and hear where it is
after each movement?  The same question for the right marker as well.  I'm
not aware of any way to do this.  If list members can provide such a way,
you will be able to edit as you want.

If you want to produce these kinds of very smooth edits and if the file is
going to be an mp3 file, you may want to use Mp3 Direct Cut to record and
edit files.  Mp3 Direct Cut allows you to hear exactly where the left and
right markers are, move them by tiny increments, and hear exactly where
they are after you move them.  You can move them and check where they are
as many times as you want.

But Mp3 Direct Cut is not a multitrack editor and it only records, plays,
and edits Mp3 files.

Also, I'm skeptical about whether using pause in Audacity makes editing
easier.  It may make it more difficult.  I did some experimenting editing
in Audacity and I pressed the left bracket and right bracket while the
file was playing.  there is a slight lag of a part of a second, perhaps
just a small fraction between the time you press the left and right
bracket keys and the time the cursor and the right marker is set.  So to
get an edit to be at the places you want to remove, you have to press
these keys a fraction of a second before the place where you want them to
be.  I haven't used pause in editing but I suspect pause has the same
delay.  In addition, it's an extra key stroke.  I'm not expert in audacity
and those who know more may present advantages in using pause I don't know
about.  but with my present knowledge, I don't see any.

Gene