[audacity4blind] Re: Compressor

  • From: Steve the Fiddle <stevethefiddle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:05:10 +0100

With Chris's Dynamic Compressor version 1.2.6 I'd suggest trying:

For Classical music and similar, everything at the default values
except for "Compress Ratio" (the first control). Try setting Compress
Ratio to about 0.7

For speech and other material, try setting Compress  Ratio at around
0.8  and set ."Compression Hardness" (the second control) to 0.7.

The first control (Ratio), sets how "strong" the effect is. At 0.5 it
is very mild and at 1.0 it is very strong. The "stronger" this setting
the more it will amplify the quiet bits. At a setting of 1 it will try
to make everything the same volume.

The second control (hardness) sets how fast/aggressive the effect is.
At 0.5 it will adjust the volume slowly, taking several seconds to
raise the level of quiet parts. This will usually suit sounds that
vary in loudness quite slowly, such as much classical music. When set
to 0.7 or above, the effect will react much more quickly, but if it is
set too high you will notice a kind of "pumping" of background noise.

There is also some information about usage above the controls. I think
that screen readers should be able to read this, but please let me
know if they don't. The text above the controls says:

"Does dynamic (volume) compression with lookahead. Compress ratio' is
how much compression to apply. Raise when soft parts  are too soft,
and lower to keep some dynamic range. You can soften the  soft parts
instead of increasing them with values < 0, and invert  loudness with
values > 1 (lower max amp when you do). 'Hardness' is how agressively
to compress. Raise when parts are still  hard to hear (even with a
high compress ratio). Lower when the result  sounds distorted. Raise
'floor' to make quiet parts stay quiet. Raise 'noise gate falloff' to
make quiet parts (beneath 'floor') disappear. Lower 'maximum
amplitude' if you experience clipping."

Steve