[audacity4blind] Compression Versus Hard Limiter

  • From: Rich De Steno <ironrock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:40:08 -0400

For years now, I have been recording multitrack original songs in Audacity. When the record phase is finished, I mix the tracks within Audacity to one stereo track. When I take a reading of the amplification of this mixed track in the Effects menu, I usually get a negative number like negative 7 or 8. I then use the compressor effect, which gets me to zero. The overall volume is somewhat reduced, but is at an acceptable level. I have recent read some material touting the Hard Limiter" effect. I experimented with this effect, leaving the default at zero DB. I did this instead of using compression. The result on the mix track was that it still sounded fine, but was significantly louder. My main question is, can using the Hard Limiter instead of the Compressor be an acceptable practice, or will it eventually result in unwanted chopping off of some sounds? What is the best way to avoid clipping while retaining as much volume as possible?

--
Rich De Steno

The audacity4blind web site is at

Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line