[audacity4blind] Re: Combining Tracks

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 22:27:28 -0500

I haven't looked into this but I doubt audacity offers an efficient way to
combine a large number of files.  Other programs, specifically designed
for doing such tasks would probably be much better to use.  I'll let
others discuss that, since I haven't looked into such programs.

I'll point out that there may be advantages to having these files remain
separate that you may not have considered.  I'll point out one at the end
of this message where  it makes sense in context.

If your intent is to listen to them on your computer as an uninterrupted
long playing single item, you can easily do so without joining them into
one file.

This usually works to play the files in order.
Move to the folder using My Computer or Windows Explorer but don't open
the folder.
Open the context menu. Look through the menu and you will find items for
playing material with different players.  You will find a play in Media
player item, if 'Winamp is installed, you will find a play in Winamp item,
and you may find such items for other players you have installed.  Press
enter on the player you want to use.  There may be something unusual about
how files are organized in a folder but in most cases, the files will play
in order, from the top one in the folder to the bottom.
You can also use the player's skip back and forward by track commands to
move from file to file.  that is one advantage of keeping the files
separate.  You can move easily and quickly from file to file. Depending on
what you are listening to, you may find moving in this way easier and more
efficient than moving through one long continuous file, looking for a
certain place.

Gene