[audacity4blind] Re: Combination earphone/microphone jack on laptop?

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 10:31:37 +0100 (BST)

Hi Gary,
concerning the combination earphone/microphone jack, it looks like you may be
able to use an adapter such as startech MUYHSMFF:
http://uk.startech.com/Cables/Audio-Video/Audio-Cables/35mm-4-Position-to-2x-3-Position-35mm-Headset-Splitter-Adapter-Male-to-Female~MUYHSMFF
note this a link to the their uk website.

I got the information from this article:
http://www.howtogeek.com/180395/how-to-connect-a-headset-to-a-laptop-tablet-or-smartphone-with-a-single-audio-jack/

David.

On Tuesday, 8 April 2014, 20:54, Gary Campbell <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

Well XP support ends today, so I have to do something about my
system soon!  I’m thinking of buying a laptop as my main computer so
it’s not chained to this desk and I might be able to use it when my wife is
sleeping, and maybe she would do more organizing of the pictures we take so they
don’t get deleted when a card fills up or “lost forever” when
I copy the card to my computer and she doesn’t want to sit here and work on
them.  The 1.7GHZ clock speed of many of the ones I’m looking at worries
me a bit since this machine (
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz with 1.49GB memory) is slow.  Also
they have a “combination earphone/microphone jack” which concerns me
a bit.  Does that mean there is a special plug with connections for both, or
that I can’t use earphones when I’m using an external mic?  They
have internal mics—are they usually any good?  (I’m looking at
a HP Pavilion 15” screen with 12GB memory that is supposed to go on sale at
Costco Friday for about $650 (US) and a Dell Inspiron 15” with 8GB memory
for a bit more, but the keyboard has a numpad.)  Of course, I have to upgrade
JAWS too…

If you can tell me about this mic/earphone jack I’d appreciate
it very much.  Also, it doesn’t mention a line in jack, and I’m
pretty sure that means there isn’t one.  Maybe I’ll have to keep
the XP machine (off the net) for things like copying cassettes if I could ever
get
to mine in the room full of junk that most people put their car in!

Thanks.

Gary