[audacity4blind] Combination earphone/microphone jack on laptop?

  • From: "Gary Campbell" <campg2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:53:30 -0600

Hi All,

Well XP support ends today, so I have to do something about my system soon!
I'm thinking of buying a laptop as my main computer so it's not chained to
this desk and I might be able to use it when my wife is sleeping, and maybe
she would do more organizing of the pictures we take so they don't get
deleted when a card fills up or "lost forever" when I copy the card to my
computer and she doesn't want to sit here and work on them.  The 1.7GHZ
clock speed of many of the ones I'm looking at worries me a bit since this
machine (              Intel(R)

Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz with 1.49GB memory) is slow.  Also they have a
"combination earphone/microphone jack" which concerns me a bit.  Does that
mean there is a special plug with connections for both, or that I can't use
earphones when I'm using an external mic?  They have internal mics-are they
usually any good?  (I'm looking at a HP Pavilion 15" screen with 12GB memory
that is supposed to go on sale at Costco Friday for about $650 (US) and a
Dell Inspiron 15" with 8GB memory for a bit more, but the keyboard has a
numpad.)  Of course, I have to upgrade JAWS too.

If you can tell me about this mic/earphone jack I'd appreciate it very much.
Also, it doesn't mention a line in jack, and I'm pretty sure that means
there isn't one.  Maybe I'll have to keep the XP machine (off the net) for
things like copying cassettes if I could ever get to mine in the room full
of junk that most people put their car in!

Thanks.

Gary