[audacity4blind] Re: [Audacity-users] recording live radio (fwd)

  • From: "David R. Sky" <davidsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:35:47 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:28:42 +1000
From: Robert and Christine Coleman <rochico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Discussion list for Audacity users <audacity-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Audacity-users] [audacity4blind] recording live radio (fwd)

Hi Bob,

If you have software play through on you will not be able to record.  If
you are usually set up to listen through Audacity as you record,
Audacity sends its output to the stereo mix a very short time after it
receives it.  This means you have effectively set up a loop where
audacity is sending the audio stream back to itself, and mixing it with
the incoming stream.  This (according to some really rusty neurons left
over from physics days) should give you a horrible beating sound.

Try using your preferences to set play through off.

Regards

robert coleman

bob ziv wrote:
Hi Adam,

Your advice about using "stereo mix" as a sound source could have been
useful for me, but it didn't work. I have tried all 8 sources of sound
but can't record from my computer. This is true about music on my hard
drive, a radio station, or from one of the cd drives. I get a terrible
beating noise, even with the volume set to minimum. I am using Windows
XP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Ziv

*/Adam Lafayette <atomlbomb@xxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    David this should help him if he's running windows. I have used
    both the methods I mention below.

    If you are using windows I think you can choose "stereo mix" as
    the source you are recording from if you are recording sound thats
    coming from your computer. I think in that case it will just be
    recording what ever is being sent to your computer speakers.

    If listening on a stereo or boom box run an from an output or
    headphones Jack to the line in on your computer and set audacity
    to record from line in.

    This is all asuming you know how to record from other devices in
    audacity.

Adam Lafayette N1ZGG atomlbomb@xxxxxxxxx http://www.bloodkeg.com http://www.geocities.com/atomlbomb

    From: Robert Smith
    Subject: [audacity4blind] recording live radio

Hello,

    Is it possible to use Audacity to record from a radio station,
    when you happen to run across something and want to quickly get a
    recording process going? In other words I halppen to tune into
    something live on radio, and want to get it captured on the
    computer which is where I am already listening to it.

    Bob S.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys -- and earn cash http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV -- Mailing list: Audacity-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To UNSUBSCRIBE, use the form at the bottom of this web page: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-users

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=41244/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index>