[audacity4blind] Audacity scrubbing script

  • From: Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 18:12:05 +1000

I am one of those people who have been pestering the Audacity people for years to introduce scrubbing. When reading the release notes for 2.1.1 my initial excitement turned to disappointment when I realised that a rodent is necessary to do the scrubbing.
I then turned my limited coding skills to writing a script to provide scrubbing from the keyboard. All are welcome to try it and to provide feedback. There are issues though. Unlike screen readers, that don't actually read the screen, the script does. The screen resolution you have set will determine whether it will find what it is looking for. I am more than happy to provide what help I can if it doesn't work for you, but can't promise to be successful.
The script is written in the AutoHotKey scripting language for Windows (sorry Mac users). To use the script you either have to install AutoHotKey or run the executable version of the script (see below) .
If you are interested in trying the script, make a note of the following link:
https://www.sendspace.com/folder/xusytz
That will take you to a page where you can download all or any of the following files:
audacity-win-2.1.1.exe - just in case you don't have the latest version of Audacity
AutoHotkey112204_Install.exe - If you choose to install AutoHotKey
scrub-manual.htm - the manual for Scrubber
scrub.ahk - the Scrubber script
scrub.exe - an executable version of the script if you don't want to install AutoHotKey
Get back to me with questions or suggestions.

Andrew