[audacity4blind] Re: Audacity on the Mac

  • From: Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 18:31:10 +1100

Here is some further information after today's further checking. Apologies for the ramblings - should have finished investigations before posting yesterday.

Thanks David. I think I knew once about the lack of reporting, but a while since I have used Audacity on the Mac.

I made a breakthrough today. Having pressed one of the brackets, pressing Home fixes the issue I noted yesterday of not knowing where the cursor had landed. The following example assumes you are as fussy as me and have set to hours, minutes, seconds and milliseconds, but adjust according to your setup.

Let's assume you want to set the cursor at 3 minutes, seven seconds and 351 milliseconds.

1.  Press left bracket ([)

2. Press Home (on the Macbook Air Function-shift-Command-left does the job)

3. Write 000307351 and press Enter

You will be placed back on the audio track. As David said, VoiceOver commands can be used to read the value before you press Enter. That becomes important if you want to make very small adjustments, as you will need to know current settings before making an adjustment.

Having selected some audio, there is another way of adjusting beginning and end points. I don't use it much because it is not as precise, but there are times where it is effective. The following are the Mac commands. For Windows substitute Control for Command:

Shift-left: Extend left edge of selection

Shift-right: Extend right edge of selection

Shift-Command-right: Contract left edge of selection

Shift-Command-left: Contract right edge of selection

It sort of makes mnemonic sense. Note that the amount by which you extend or contract will depend on zoom level. That is why I prefer to use the numbers, but each to his/her own.

Andrew

On 16/12/2016 5:41 AM, Agnieszka Svenja Ottawa wrote:

Hi there,

Thanks alot for your answers, I’ll try it out.

greets
Svenja
The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line
unsubscribe