[audacity4blind] Re: Audacity on the Mac

  • From: Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 20:27:30 +1100

Hi Maria

I had a play with Audacity on a Mac today, so can write a bit more authoritatively than in my previous post. I will recap to clarify and will then raise an issue that I do not recall from earlier.

Let's assume you want to select a portion of audio. Start playing from the start. Pressing shift-a will stop playing and put the cursor at that point. Don't use shift-a again, as that will move the cursor forward. Play until reaching the point where you want to select the end of the portion of audio. Press right bracket. Playing will continue, but if you stop and start again just the selected portion of audio will be played.

An alternative to using shift-a is to press left bracket. That will put the cursor at that point but, unlike using shift-a, playing will continue. Under best circumstances, this approach works well. But if you want a very precise edit you will need lightning reflexes.

The problem I found today was when using left and right brackets when not playing. That brings up a dialog where, under best circumstances, you can adjust left and right edges of the highlight or, for that matter, jump to somewhere else entirely. The exact format of what is presented will depend on your preferences. It will be something like hours, minutes, seconds and hundreds of a second. Being a pedant, I set it to hours, minutes, seconds and milliseconds. On Windows I can press Home to get to the beginning of the string of numbers. Numbers can then be keyed or arrows can be used to adjust values. I had two problems on the Mac today. Firstly, arrows did not adjust values. Secondly, I could not find a way, apart from futile trial and error, to know where I was in the string. Keying in numbers worked, but without knowing where I was, setting the right value was highly frustrating at best. My curiosity may get the better of my tomorrow and regular Mac users may have a solution.

Andrew

On 15/12/2016 3:22 PM, Maria Chapman wrote:

HI.

so let me see if I have this straight. If I am playing a file and I press shift
a, that will put the cursor there, Would I then continue to play the file and
press right bracket to mark the end of the selection? Or would I press shift a
again? Or would I not use shift a to mark a selection but left and right
bracket?

thanks
Maria

On 14 Dec. 2016, at 9:33 pm, Andrew Downie <access_tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think this should work on the Mac - will try to remember when in front of one
tomorrow.  Pressing shift-a should stop playback at that point and put the
cursor there.  Pressing left bracket ([) when playing will put the cursor at
that point and playing will continue.  Pressing right bracket (]) when playing
will set the end of the selection to that point.  When not playing, pressing
left or right bracket allows you to edit the time.

Andrew

On 13/12/2016 4:01 PM, Maria Chapman wrote:
Hi.

I am also using audacity with a mac quite successfully.  I don’t know how to
edit the middle of a file either, that is select parts of a file, but i do know
how to select from the beginning or the end.  I suspect i just don’t have the
knowledge yet though.

Maria

On 10 Dec. 2016, at 2:54 am, Peter Bosher <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who may need to use Audacity on the Mac.  The
website says that there's an accessible version, 2.11, but is anyone on this
list using it successfully?   Any feedback on how well it works with VoiceOver
would be really helpful.

Also, is there anyone who could train her here in the UK?

TIA,

Peter

The audacity4blind web site is at

Subscribe and unsubscribe information, message archives,
Audacity keyboard commands, and more...

To unsubscribe from audacity4blind, send an email to
audacity4blind-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
with subject line
unsubscribe