[audacity4blind] Re: Audacity Queries

  • From: Vitor Ferreira <vitorflash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 21:45:49 +0100

Hello.

To make the lower sounds play lowder, you may normalize the recording. However, keep in mind that if the voices are really at a low volume, quite a lot of hiss and preamp noise may come to the recording.
Normalizing is under the effects menu.

For slowing donwn speech, under the same menu, you have 2 options: changing tempo, which will change speed without changing pitch, and change speed, which will afect both pitch and speed.

As for removing extra noise, i'm affraid there's hardly any chance, unless that noise and the voices you want to preserve do not sound at the same time. You can select that peace of unwanted noise and just remove it.

Hope that helps.

On 22/06/2015 18:44, Gerard Sadlier wrote:

Hi all

Apologies for the repeated query but I really would welcome some
guidance on this, as it's quite urgent.

I have now downloaded Audacity and need some advice on specific queries.

I need to know how to do 3 things with it and would be really grateful
for your advice on how to do them.

1. On a recording I have, one speaker's contributions come out as
whispering - they may have been too far away from the recording device
or whatever. It is hard to make out what they are saying. I want to
fix this, so that their speech is clear.

2. I want to be able to slow down what they are saying, if and when
necessary. and

3. I want to remove background noise - as this recording was made in a
public place, from time to time there are people passing etc.

I'd be grateful for your guidance on each!
Thanks

Ger

Vitor Ferreira