[audacity4blind] Re: Anyone want to try the new label editor?

  • From: "David R. Sky" <davidsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:57:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Leland,

I just remembered about testing the label track 'thingy' - a few
things:

As per your instructions, I can go into the edit labels menu,
and edit for instance the label name, start and end times okay (my
first experience with working with those 'cells', it took a while
to figure out).

1. When I open the 'edit labels' item in the track menu, the first
item says "custom control" (it's the item before 'insert after'),
which is something that WE typically says when different jobs are
finished, especially in Audacity. It's this 'custom control' item
which I use to edit the labels, as you instructed.

2. My question is - what after that? After I've set a label, how
can I get Audacity to move the playback cursor to that position in
the track? What in fact is useful about being able to set a label -
 how is it useful?

3. I also noticed a weird behavior when cursoring up and down the
track menu - when cursoring down, edit labels gives the shortcut as
'p', which is the shortcut key for the item above it; when
cursoring up, it gives the shortcut key as 'o', which is the
shortcut key for the item below it (or vice versa). I haven't heard
this behavior before from Window Eyes.

I'm using Window Eyes 5.5 demo version.

Thanks!

David>>

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Leland wrote:

I think I have it working okay, so if any of you out there want to give the
latest beta code a go you can get an installer from:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/files/audacity-win-1.3.1-beta.exe

Or a plain old zip file from:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/files/audacity-win-1.3.1-beta.zip

Remember this is beta code, so it might blow up on you or, at the very
least, slam your fingers in the door.  :-)

The label editor can be accessed from the Track menu by selecting the "Edit
Labels" item.

It is a grid similar to spreadsheets and each row has 4 columns with track
number and name, label name, start time of labeled selection, and end time
of labeled selection.

You edit fields by pressing F2 and each field has a different type of edit
control.

The track number and name uses a combo box.
The label name is a plain old edit box.
The start and end selection times use a custom Audacity control that
supports many different time formats which you can select by pressing the
application key while editing the value.  This will popup a menu and you can
select from just about any format you might want.

You may also insert, remove, import, and export labels.

Anyway, if you're feeling adventurous go ahead and download your preferred
flavor.

Leland