[audacity4blind] Re: Amplifying sound on imported tracks to a normal volume

  • From: Justin Trevino <jtrevino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 23:25:33 -0500

I don't know what music you're comparing this to, but I can tell you that most modern productions are mastered really hot these days. Seems like everyone wants to make there project the loudest on the planet, and I'm not sure why. This is done by hard limiting the songs then turning up the over all mixes as hot as possible. This strips the music of some of it's dynamics, and does not allow it to breathe as it normally would.

The track you sent seems to be at a reasonable volume to me.
But if you still want to make it louder, you could bring down the peaks, to make them uniform with the rest of the track, and then amplify the whole song one more time.
Good luck!
On 7/2/2014 11:00 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know how loud the track is from the professional album but I
played the track in Winamp and sampled a good deal of it.  the louder
sections I sampled are at or just about at the volume of my screen-reader.
  I'm not sure what accounts for what you are describing.  Have you played
the track in Audacity to see what the level is if you do that?  Is the
track you ripped from the album an mp3 file?

Gene
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 22:30:55 -0500
normal volume
From: gsasner@xxxxxxxxx
To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

the volume level of the attachment is as it should be or very close.
That
may explain why you are not able to change it as you wish.  The problem
you are having appears to be either volume settings in Windows or in the
programs you are using to play the files, if this one is representative.

Gene