[audacity4blind] Amplifying sound on imported tracks to a normal volume

  • From: Sharni-Lee Ward <sharni-lee.ward@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 12:42:23 +0930

Hi,

I have a number of tracks in my music library that I got through a friend who
downloaded them off sites that didn't care so much about sound quality. The
sound on these tracks is fine apart from the fact that they are noticeably
quieter than they would have been if I got them via a studio album. I've tried
fixing this since getting Audacity, first by using the Amplify effect (which I
thought was going to work until I tried it with a certain track that refused to
get any louder), and then a friend suggested I use the Normalise feature with
Max Amplitude, and then amplify the track. I thought this was working for a
while, but then I tried it on a track the other day and didn't get the result I
wanted. (I've also tried repeating the effect several times over and getting no
better results.)

Is there a solution to this problem that doesn't involve clipping? I only want
the sound to be louder so I don't have to turn up my computer's volume to 100%
just to enjoy a few songs. They need to be at least loud enough so that my
screen-reader isn't louder than the music. That's how it's supposed to be, when
the Media Player volume is at full ball.

I'm attaching one of the problem tracks I mentioned above. It should help you
understand what my problem is.