[audacity4blind] Re: Amplification versus Gain

  • From: Gale Andrews <gale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 14:54:46 +0100

| From Rich De Steno <ironrock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
| Sat, 24 Aug 2013 09:29:40 -0400
| Subject: Amplification versus Gain
> David, just to clarify, let's say that I have a project going with four
> tracks,
> three guitars and a vocal.  Let's say that the vocal is too low and I
> want to bring it up in relation to the guitars.  I select the vocal
> track and make sure that the guitar tracks are not selected.  I then
> press shift-g and enter 3, for example.  Do I still need to use the "mix
> and render" command, which I was never aware of before this, or is
> pressing shift-g and entering 3 sufficient?

SHIFT + G and increase the gain is sufficient for listening to the
file and exporting it.

The point is that the gain does not write the gain change to the
audio data (and if you could see the waveform, does not modify
the waveform height).

The difference is that if you tried five different gain settings and did
Mix and Render after each settings change,  you would have written
a lot of extra audio data. That could lead you to run out of disk space
if you were short of space and had tracks that were several hours
long.

Gale