[audacity4blind] Re: Amplification versus Gain

  • From: Rich De Steno <ironrock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 09:29:40 -0400

David, just to clarify, let's say that I have a project going with four tracks, three guitars and a vocal. Let's say that the vocal is too low and I want to bring it up in relation to the guitars. I select the vocal track and make sure that the guitar tracks are not selected. I then press shift-g and enter 3, for example. Do I still need to use the "mix and render" command, which I was never aware of before this, or is pressing shift-g and entering 3 sufficient?

Rich De Steno

On 8/24/2013 8:30 AM, David Bailes wrote:
Hi Rich,
although amplification and gain do roughly the same thing, there are some
differences.
The gain of track is applied to the whole track, and is only applied when the
track is mixed for playback or export to a file, or when you use the mix and
render command. Changing the gain, doesn't affect the amplitude of the audio
data in the track.
The amplify effect can be applied to a time range in one or more tracks. It
changes the amplitudes of the audio data in the track, and it ignores the gain
settings of the tracks.
If you select one or more tracks and choose mix and render on the tracks menu,
then in the resultant track, the gains of the tracks have been taken into
account, and the gain of the track is initially zero.
So for example, if you select a single track, set the gain to 3, apply the mix
and render command, the gain is applied to the audio data in the track, and the
gain is reset to zero.