[audacity4blind] Re: Amplification versus Gain

  • From: David Bailes <david_bailes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 13:40:39 +0100 (BST)

Hi Rich,
concerning applying amplify to a single track.
The amplify effect, like all the other effects, is applied to the selected
audio. For audio to be selected both one or more tracks must be selected, and a
time range must be selected. It looks like you didn't select a time range.
If you want to select a time range which covers all the audio in one or more
selected tracks, then you can do this by:
1. press the j key, which moves the cursor to the start of the audio in the
selected tracks.
2. press shift + k, which selects a time range from the cursor to the end of
the audio in the selected tracks. (pressing the k key, moves the cursor to the
end of the audio in the selected tracks).

Also, there's an option in audacity to select all the audio if none is
selected, and you've probably got this option on, resulting in all the tracks
being selected after you applied the amplify effect. I would suggest turning
this option off - it's in the tracks section of the preferences dialog.