[audacity4blind] Re: Amplification versus Gain

  • From: Rich De Steno <ironrock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:23:30 -0400

So if you change the gain on a track in a project and then save the project with the normal control-s keystroke, is the new gain level saved or must you invoke that mix and render first? If it is the latter, I guess you will be creating an excess of material in the data folder.

Rich De Steno

On 8/26/2013 8:20 AM, Gale Andrews wrote:
| From "Robbie" <tickleberryfun@xxxxxxxxx>
| Mon, 26 Aug 2013 10:54:29 +0200
| Subject: Amplification versus Gain
[...]
However, perhaps someone can help me with a problem I'm having. In a song
I'm currently producing the Gain and Pan values are frequently reset to 0.
I think this happens when saving the project. So if I pan a track to 0.9
it afterwards keeps its position but the value in the Pan box is 0 again.
This is confusing and annoying. I'd welcome any advice on this.
The gain and pan values (as read out when you open the gain or
pan menu) are stored in the project file.

If you Tracks > Mix and Render, the pan will be applied to the
audio data. If you could see the waveform, the quieter channel
would be greatly reduced in height (amplitude).

Since Render has applied the pan to the data, the pan value
returns to zero. This is correct.