[audacity4blind] Amplification versus Gain

  • From: Rich De Steno <ironrock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:51:55 -0400

Is there any difference between increasing the volume of a track through the amplify selection in the Effects menu, and by pressing shift-g for gain and entering a number? If there is a difference, what is it? Also, when I have a project of several tracks that are all unselected, and then I record another track, select it, and check the level of that last track in the amplify selection in the Effects menu, it always seems to show a negative number no matter how quiet that last track is. Why is that? Also, merely making this check on the selected last track seems to make every track selected. What is going on?

--
Rich De Steno