[audacity4blind] Re: Amplification not Amplifying

  • From: Steve the Fiddle <stevethefiddle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:36:34 +0000

The Amplify and Normalize effects work with reference to the peak
(highest) level in the audio selection.
Example, if you have a recording of quiet bird song and then a (much
louder) shotgun blast, using the Amplify or Normalize effects to
amplify up to 0 dB will amplify the track such that the peak level of
the shotgun blast is 0 dB. All audio in the selection is amplified by
the same amount, so the rest of the track will remain quiet.

A less extreme example: "Finger picking" on acoustic guitar has
relatively high peaks as each string is plucked, then the sound decays
rapidly to a lower level. In contrast, an electric guitar tends to
maintain a more even volume. Thus if you have a recording of an
electric guitar and a recording of an acoustic guitar, and they both
have the same peak level, then the electric guitar will probably sound
louder because the average level is higher.

This phenomena can be a problem for vinyl recordings because just one
loud click from a scratch on the record may be the highest peak in the
recording and thus determine the amount of amplification that is
applied. In the case of Vinyl recordings it is important to deal with
clicks and pops before using the Amplify or Normalize effects.

For other types of recording, if a track cannot be made as loud as you
would like, then "dynamic compression" effects can be used. A "dynamic
compression" effect reduces the dynamic range - that is, it reduces
the difference in level between high peaks and lower peaks, so that
level varies less. This allows the track to be amplified more so that
the average level is greater.

There are two types of "dynamic compression" effects. One type is
called a "Compressor". The other is called a "Limiter". The difference
between a Compressor and a Limiter is that a Limiter acts only on the
highest peaks adjusting the level in a very small region centred on
that peak, whereas a Compressor acts more gradually. You can think of
a Limiter as someone with their hand on the volume control that very
quickly turns the volume down just before a high peak, then very
quickly turns the volume back up again. (by "very quickly" I am
talking about super-human speed of just a few milliseconds). A
compressor does much the same thing, but much more gradually.

Audacity  has a built in Compressor effect. With this effect, when
there is a high peak, the volume is gradually and automatically
reduced in anticipation of peaks, then gradually adjusted back up
after the peak. This is not a particularly easy effect to use -
perhaps other people on this list can offer tips about it. I would
however recommend that you set the final control "Compress based on
peaks" to "selected" (ON).

Audacity does not currently ship with a Limiter effect, but these are
generally easier to use. There is a good Limiter plugin available
here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist_Effect_Plug-ins#Limiter_.282.29
(the one listed as "Limiter 2").

Steve