[audacity4blind] Re: Adjusting Track Volume?

  • From: "James Kelm" <jameskelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 12:26:41 -0500

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestion. No, when I have dumpt a particular version of Audacity, it says that there are some aspects that could not be uninstalled, and that I can uninstall these manually. I have just left them. I will have to go and get rid of everything Audacity, and see if that makes any difference.

In the future I have another lap top that has Windows 7 that I want to make my DAW, but right now that computer is being used for work ad I can't transfer it over to my home studio.

   So little time, and so many computers to play with!  LOLL

Respectfully,
James

-----Original Message----- From: Andrew Downie
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 3:56 AM
To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [audacity4blind] Re: Adjusting Track Volume?

James, according to the good people at Audacity 2.1.3 should work on
XP.  It will be the last release that will do so officially. That, of
course, is cool comfort when it doesn't work on your machine.

My memory of XP is very hazy, so take the following with a large grain
of salt - well no, salt is bad for you (smile).  When you uninstall
Audacity, do you remove all remnants of it?  In later versions of
Windows, and I think it applies to XP, go into the AppData/Roaming
folder and delete anything with Audacity's name on it.  If you don't do
that, earlier problems may hang about.

Of course, it may be that on a machine of that age other issues could be
causing the problems.  Oh, the joys of computers.

Andrew

On 18/07/2017 2:09 PM, James Kelm wrote:

Dear Andrew & all...

Firstly I want to once again express my sincere appreciation for all of the valuable help that you all have been providing! It's extremely appreciated!

Well after I think that it has been 4 or 5 days now and more uninstalls and installs of Audacity and other applications, I think that I am finally getting a finger tip grasp on Audacity. I have to say that I am extremely excited over having found Audacity, as well as the assistance that I have found on this list. I had been struggling with Reaper for several weeks off and on, and seemed to be getting frustrated more than anything. With work and family responsibilities I can not always spend hours a day trying to figure out a new program, which is why I had continued to check out other DAWS programs. Audacity is easy to figure out at least the basics, and I am already practicing recording and editing tracks. I am really getting excited to order my new mixer, which now I can see will be very beneficial.

Today I have been attempting to solve one issue that I'm having with Audacity, but I have accepted the fact that I may have to compromise. My DAWS machine is an older lap top with XP Professional on it. I have been trying to load the newest version of Audacity on it (2.13), but while the program installs OK, when I try to start the program I get an error message that says that audacity.exe has failed to initialize properly. I went on line with my main work computer and read that this error is often caused by XP not having frameworks. So I downloaded frameworks from Microsoft, but it didn't help. I have loaded and unloaded Audacity 2.13 a bunch of times after doing a clean up on my XP, but nothing seems to help. I can load Audacity 1.06 though, and it seems to be working relatively good. I can't get any of the sound effects to work, even though they appear in a plug in folder in the Audacity files in Windows. But happily volume settings, panning, recording, deleting, and other basic functions are working, so I guess that unless I stumble on a resolution, I can get a lot of use out of Audacity, even with my limitations. *smile* I'm not sure, but I think that maybe the reason that I can't open the newest version of Audacity, may be why the effects won't work even in 106. But luckily I have stacks of external effect units that I can use with a few cables.

Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 8:39 PM
To: audacity4blind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Apologies James, I meant to comment earlier on your tracks issue. As you
have now discovered, you do not need to create a new track before starting a
recording in Audacity. Not all DAWs work that way. You only need to create
a new track if wanting to copy something into it.

Andrew